Amateur breached by Beverley in defaeat

Yorkshire Amateur struggled to withstand Beverley breaching their defence, losing 5-0 at the Southerns Stadium in the NCEL Division One on Saturday afternoon.

Ben Hinchcliffe, Josh Batty, Olly Baldwinson, Joe McFyadon & Scott Philips all supplemented Beverley’s goal-tally.

16-year-old academy graduate Harry Abson’s senior debut, introduced at half-time, was one positive from the evening. Aaron Batley returned in goal and infront of him, Jake Boyd, TJ Kongolo, Jonpaul Sharp & Wilfred Frimpong completed five changes.

Aerial balls forcing Frimpong to chase evaded the forward but also the opposition, the majority share of possession in the opening 10 minutes held in neutral space before running onto Tom Nicholson in the Beverley goal.

Morton asked too much of the pacey forward with a pass after cutting in-field, Frimpong having beat the flag to attack goal but Nicholson again comfortably collecting on 11 minutes.

Beverley’s strategy down the left flank was more accurate in it’s transition, passing in Ben Hinchliffe but the cross too failed to dent Ammers’ defence, grounding inside Batley’s arms.

Olly Baldwin had success also down the left passage, rounding Kongolo to penetrate the box but there was a lack of force in then moving the ball further infield, dealt with.

Hinchliffe thought he had dealt the opening blow, rebounding Scott Phillips’ shot from the edge of the box, volleying into an empty goal, but he retreated without any damage dealt once he’d been made aware of the raised flag.

Phillips, deep from the central edge of Ammers’ box, manoeuvred a challenge before hitting a shot which Batley could only parry to Hinchcliffe.

Beverley & Hinchcliffe broke down Ammers’ defence just two minutes later, Hinchcliffe volleying into empty space at the back post.

Grant Tait’s cross from the right dropped behind Batley, leaving Hinchcliffe with half an open goal to finish.

Two minutes later came the second, an individual effort designed by Josh Batty, fired into the bottom right-hand corner.

A slight body-feint from right to left created space for Batty in-field to power a left-footed shot inside the bottom, near post.

Frimpong’s new base on the left-hand side handed him more possession, deploying a fast attack on Beverley’s box and successfully beating Grant Tait into the final 18-yards. He was forced wide for his shot, across goal, intercepted before Newton Conde could strike.

Hinchcliffe struggled to deal with an aerial ball behind Ammers’ guard, attempting a side-footed volley as the ball dropped over his shoulder, side-footing the volley into a safe save before the break.

Harry Abson’s senior debut began at half-time, immediately called upon when a direct ball landed on the right flank, shielded by Abson to win a free-kick deep into Beverley territory, applauded by almost the entire of the Ammers squad for his credible work.

His number one Batley had a hand in keeping the score at 2-0, a strong left palm pushing away Phillips’ powerful strike from the egde of the box.

Ten minutes in and Abson, now facing goal, had rounded his marker, the ball meeting him inside the box having been pushed round the opposite side of the defender, the ball eventually cleared on the cover.

The youngster’s hard-work was almost undone by experience, Grant Tait’s free-kick clearly merit from practice as he curled the ball over the wall from 25-yards, against the near post.

Beverley’s two-goal lead meant their plan of attack differed as time continued to sway in their advantage, appearing to prioritise maintaining possession.

Abson offered a safe outlet for Ammers on occasion, winning free-kicks and using his strength to keep the ball for the hosts but he posed a lonely figure at times, with too much distance between himself and the ball’s landing zone.

Eloi Nyom’s height advantage almost paid dividends at the back post, heading just wide after the corner from the left evaded all challenges infront of the midfielder.

Beverley countered for their third, through Olly Baldwin’s strike into the near, top corner after cutting inside from the left.

Abson was targeted by another Ammers direct ball, winning a throw-in but possession quickly changed hands, a return long-ball behind ammers’ defence was picked up by Baldwin, roaming in-field, to the edge of the box before shooting hard into the top left-hand corner.

Joe Mcfyadon celebrated Beverley’s fourth despite confusion over whether it was intentional or not, hitting the ball, cross or shot, from the right touchline, the ball dropping behind Batley inside the left-hand side-netting.

Batley kept it at four by tipping Phillips’ low shot round the left-hand post after the ball skimmed under the Ammers challenge and into the Beverley forward.

The fifth was simple for Phillips, possession intercepted deep into Ammers terriorty, their defence out of position and Phillips one-on-one with Batley to place low beside the ‘keeper’s left, seeing Beverley win the battle at The Southerns Stadium this afternoon.

The Ammers invade Athersley Recreation’s Sheerien Park stadium next Saturday, 26th August in the NCEL Division One, kicking off at 3pm.