Amateur forced back by Wakefield’s five

The Ammers’ inability to escape Wakefield’s stalking of their opposition in the NCEL Division One concluded with The Falcons returning home 5-0 victors on Saturday afternoon.

The Falcons’ efficiency gave them a 4-0 lead at half-time at The Southerns Stadium, Jordan Helliwell following up to secure the opener before Kadeem Morton’s clearance couldn’t evade Ben Gelder, quickly moving one-on-one to double the lead. Mason Rubie prolifiency infront of goal proved when he was found behind the Ammers’ defence before Slater Barnes’s double completed the score.

Jack Viles returned in goal and infront of him, Craig Maynard just the second change from those that started against Beverley last Saturday, Monroe Sternberg replaced and returning to the bench.

Maynard made Jayden Sandhu aware & reminded the home crowd of his impact, a strong presence within, and first to, the 50-50 between himself and Wakefield’s number Ten.

Ammers’ aggression throughout in the opening 12 minutes was covered comfortably by Boyd & Maynard who are welcoming of aerial balls.

Wakefield’s most threatening chance up to that point was when Nathan Hawkhead was allowed space to turn to goal on the half-way line by Rio Korbel, making it 25-yards out from goal, creating an opportunity dealt with by Ammers.

Wakefield made their possession count with the first mark on the scoresheet minutes later, Jordan Helliwell’s role to confirm the ball crossed the line, on the slide. A cross from the left wasn’t met convincingly by either side but Wakefield profitted better, the ball seemingly making its way past Viles, only just, before Helliwell made sure.

Cyrus Rowe’s space behind visiting right full-back Aaron Pilkington was the main outlet for the hosts, goalless in their previous two. Twice making his way to the byline, the second crossing attempt running across the goalmouth, no one up to speed with either of Rowe’s pace or thinking.

Kadeem Morton’s clearance instead found an opposition, compounded as Wakefield doubled their lead, Ben Gelder handed a one-on-one opportunity. Morton had covered behind his centre-halves and then looked to clear, mishit straight to Gelder 25-yards out who then ran between Morton and the Ammers central defenders before placing into the top, right-hand corner.

It was almost déjà vu moments later, Korbel’s attempted pass back to Maynard being short and intercepted. The ball was ran inside the left channel of the box and crossed centrally, dealt with by the hosts.

Maynard and Sandhu reintroduced themselves off-the-ball, the former booked for the incident with little explanation with the action being away from play.

Mason Rubie exemplified counter-attacking football to extend the lead further. Found behind the Ammers’ defence, he continued to goal with the ball and placed it to the right of Viles in goal.

The fourth came just after the half-hour mark, Slater Barnes rebounding within the box, the ball ricocheting off the post. Viles superbly blocked his top, right-hand corner with his palm in response to a direct free-kick on that side, curling away from goal. The ‘keeper wasn’t helped with the ball’s connection off the post, returning the ball into his box.

A similar set-piece, entering the final five minutes of the first-half, again threatened, Boyd winning the initial header, forced to follow up with a weak hooked clearance as far as Jack Durkin. The Wakefield centre-half returned the ball across the hosts’ goal, too far ahead of the advancing Wakefield forward at the far post.

Viles kept it at four for the break, denying a high shot across his body to his left, his higher, right hand tipping the ball over.

A double change came for the hosts at half-time – Ebrahim Hydara and Oscar Hines into midfield.

Kaidan Cheetham proved he hadn’t given up, chasing a back-pass all the way into pressing George Bristol to kick the ball straight out on the left, deep into Wakefield’s half.

Ammers’ promising start seemed to open spaces for Wakefield in attack, however, Barnes twice running with possession into the box, infield from his wide-left base. On the first attempt he was unable to control and saw the ball roll into Viles, secondly, cutting inside, he was unable to threaten Viles with what appeared to be the midfielder’s weaker foot.

He couldn’t miss for Wakefield’s fifth, waiting for the deflected shot inside the Ammers box to drop onto his head at the far post.

Birama Diallo’s quick feet sparked light into an otherwise flat Ammers offence on 70 minutes, finding space where there wasn’t much, just yards outside the Wakefield box. Moving the ball onto his right foot, infield from the left, it was a weak connection for the strike, picked up by Bristol.

Slater stalked his third, an unforced error from Boyd, unable to intercept the lofted direct ball, would have put Slater in on goal but for Viles’ reaction to leave his line to smother the ball.

Oliver Green weaved through several challenges high into Ammers’ half, from Wakefield’s right but the shot was again covered by the diving Viles to parry away from goal, the ball continuing left.

That was his final test, Wakefield’s short successful trip complete.

Ammers continue on home territory next Saturday with the invasion of Horbury Town in the league.

Tickets for the Horbury Town fixture (20th January): Adults – £6, Concessions – £4, U16s – £3