Amateur pay penalty of red-card in Garforth defeat

10-man Yorkshire Amateur paid the penalty of a Garforth Town spot-kick and Sam O’Malley’s red-card, consolidated after the 87th-minute when two late goals resulted in a 3-0 defeat on Tuesday afternoon in the NCEL Premier.

O’Malley’s Ammers debut ended after 30 minutes at The Southerns Stadium following his red card as the last man when fouling James Burgess inside the box. Dan Coupland finished the spot-kick, in off the right-hand post.

Burgess himself added the second whilst the dangerous Charlie Marshall completed the scoring.

Accompanying O’Malley for their debuts were Charlie Parnell and Shane Hanson. Daniel Leafe made his full debut whilst Jamal Stewart & Fermin Fernandes completed six changes to the starting line-up.

Charlie Marshall showed intent immediately, down Garforth’s left but his first attempt at a delivery dragged across the floor, cleared by the retreating Keanan Mannings.

Jamie Barkway went closer by hitting the bar twice. Firstly, from a back-post header from a deep free-kick.

Adam Fowler’s close control worked space for an Ammers shot from the edge of the box, squeezing it through the crowd of bodies and over the bar.

Barkway again connected with the bar for the second time in five minutes, a second out-swinging delivery floated on to his sizable frame, after a corner from the right.

But again Ammers countered, Fowler again holding possession in an advanced area, down the left of the box before his square ball was cleared but intercepted again by Morton. With space, the full-back took the shot, always rising over.

Burgess’ roles for Garforth was the same as Fowler’s and linked well with a first-time pass into Barker. He twisted in and out before aiming a cross to the far post, slightly ahead of Marshall who couldn’t get enough on the ball with a fully-stretched leg, poking wide.

A penalty was the created within the end-to-end style, going the way of Garforth after Sam Barker whad space to run at the Ammers’ defence before passing a through-ball behind the hosts’ defence, of which O’Malley struggled to chase and fouled Burgess.

The Ammers defender was sent off as the last man when conceding the foul.

Dan Coupland’s spot-kick went in off the inside of the right-hand post.

Benjamin Quartey’s introduction was a result of the sending-off, Fermin Fernandez conceded by joint-managers Jake Boyd and Casey O’Reilly.

The best chances, rounding off the half, literally fell to the team with the man less, Ammers twice going close before the break.

Firstly, Shane Hanson’s scissor-kick volleyed first-time a dropping ball on the edge of the box, the ball dipping wide of the left-hand post.

Mannings’ near-post header following a deep free-kick from the right then failed to curl in enough to land inside the right-hand post.

Oliver Ford was still busy, however, to keep the margin at one at the break. He had to react quickly to use his feet to deny Charlie Marshall’s shot across goal from left to right.

Garforth continued to bring pace in attack in the second-half, a cross from the left aimed at Marshall at the far post, intercepted at the last opportunity by the headed clearance of Quartey.

Winger Marshall wasted his opportunity when found central, just outside the box, slicing wide of the right-hand post.

Garforth began dominating possession, but it took a quick interchange to create an opening on the edge of the box, a one-two landing at Barker’s feet. He shifted the ball to his right and curled towards the top corner, denied by a strong hand by Ford to an applause from the crowd.

Ford’s punch, away from the challenging Garforth forward, pushed the ball only to the attacking Nick Thompson who’s apparent attempted chip was stuck to the ground for Ford to collect this time.

Marshall, now on the right, got away from Leafe and crossed to Burgess who chose the option of an over-head kick, with his back to goal, missing the ball, allowing Quartey to clear.

Quartey’s mis-control deep inside his own half set up the man in Marshall’s vacant left-wing spot, Witter to run onto the ball and poke into the box. He was clear of the defence to pick his spot but aimed wide, across the goal.

Burgess didn’t need much space inside the box to hit the near post, swivelling 180 degrees after his initial first-touch to lace a low shot against the left-hand upright.

The visiting forward was denied Garforth’s second a minute later, with a raised flag.

Ford then denied Burgess from a similar position, behind the Ammers’ defence. The shot was arguably too close to the ‘keeper, parried out for a corner.

The Garforth forward was to finally get his goal, in the 87th-minute, taking advantage of Alfie Gibbon’s failed clearance on the edge of his own box.

The sliced kick landed at Burgess, central inside the box, to turn and power the ball beyond Ford.

A third was added in extra-time from the threatening Marshall who half-volleyed into goal from close-range.

Ammers visit Barton Town on Saturday afternoon in the NCEL Premier, kick-off at 3pm.

1 Comment

  • Posted February 7, 2023 11:06 pm 0Likes
    by Daniel leafe

    Think it was about 10/15 minutes into game the red card , seemed earlier than 30 mins

Comments are closed.