Ammers halted by defeat to Horbury

Yorkshire Amateur’s survival race in the NCEL Division One will go down to the final day, still needing a point after a 3-1 defeat to Horbury Town on Wednesday evening.

Liam Parker restored hope by taking his opportunity reverted as a forward to meet Sidibe’s delivery from the right to recover the deficit to 2-1 in an improved second-half for the hosts at The Southerns Stadium.

James Cusworth (2) and Sam Kyeremeh caused Ammers’ search for safety to extend atleast till Saturday.

It was slightly too early for Ammers’ numerous injuries to return this evening, able to make just the one change. Theju Kongolo replaced the absent Ousainey Juwara.

Parker’s headed chance represented Ammers’ early control. The wide options were the outlet in transition, earning a corner on the right. Parker used his height advantage, diverting the ball with his head towards the top, left corner, reached by Paul Hagreen comfortably.

Horbury were straight on the counter, winning a crucial duel in midfield to release James Cusworth who was pressured into slicing wide across goal to the right by the recovering defender.

He went closer on 20 minutes, moving into the box by cutting inside from the right, left-footed inside the box, over the bar.

From then, Horbury took hold of the ball but struggled to get between Ammers’ block.

Gibril Bojang’s shot from distance, although only just over, was symbolic of the visitors’ frustrations playing through Ammers’ defence.

Diallo complimented strength and speed to constantly recover possession and break clear either through the middle or down the left.

It offered opportunity for Horbury’s Joel Feirn to showcase his passing range from 40-yards, Sam Alty’s touch matching the quality on both occasions on the right. The second chance provided a shot, parried across goal, only to Cusworth, yards out, smashing over.

Horbury, in the end, didn’t have to play through as Kyeremeh found the bottom corner from outside the box. Ammers had forced both Bojang & Kyeremeh to attempts from the same space, this one slightly further to the right and hit across goal, beyond Viles despite a fingertip.

Ammers needed Parker reverted as a forward in a half-time change, due to both reasons of Chigumira’s injury as well as recovering the point needed for safety.

Freddie Swales couldn’t have got any closer, both in his position and finish. Advanced due to the set-piece on the right, the delivery was cleared to Wade who’s first-time shot deflected into Swales’ feet to simply divert to the near, left-hand post, Hagreen somehow read it and reacted quickly to parry the low effort.

Sam Kyeremeh fancied another chance from the edge of the box, smothered by Viles but reaffirming Horbury’s threat on the counter.

Curt Senior’s run down the left was accompanied by his opposite winger Alty, inside, who upon receiving the pass, found space for a right-footed shot, always going wide of the far post.

Senior couldn’t trap the high ball behind Ammers full-back Amari Smith, forced wide by the trajectory of the bouncing ball and over-compensating with the shot, across the face of goal.

Ammers were yet to find their target in the form of Parker but the directness of their play had opened up the game – for both sides. Cusworth, having started wide to the right of Horbury’s attack, delivered a low cross through the box, Senior beaten to it by Smith at the back post.

The hosts almost didn’t need to, Parker’s presence alone, chasing a ball over the top, forced Horbury’s covering defender to clear desperately behind, the forward odds on to win the race against Horbury’s ‘keeper Hagreen who was closing in.

The space afforded by the open style the game had taken gave Horbury a fortunate second with ten minutes remaining, doubling their lead through James Cusworth. Kyeremeh, having received the ball back from his support act to his right, spotted space infield and was able to get a shot away, blocked by his own striker Cusworth, able to keep the ball close to finish with his second touch from the 6-yard line.

Liam Parker restored hope of sealing safety tonight in the final five minutes that remained, utilising his size as the Ammers’ target with a neat control & finish. Ousmane Sidibe offered support short for the pass out of central midfield and in-turn found Parker with a delivery from deep, into the box. The ‘forward’ controlled with his chest before finishing.

As Ammers continued to push, Horbury countered and confirmed the victory through Cusworth’s second. Attacking with pace down the right, the cutback found Cusworth matching the pace to smash low past Viles.

Attention turns to Glasshoughton’s trip to Armthorpe on Saturday whilst Ammers don’t play, anything less than a Glasshoughton victory will secure Ammers’ safety.

Should Glasshoughton win, Ammers require a point against Shirebrook at The Southerns Stadium on Wednesday 24th April.