Ammers into gear with victory over Golcar

Yorkshire Amateur got into gear with a 1-0 victory over Golcar United at The Southerns Stadium in the NCEL Premier Division on Wednesday evening.

[Photo by Sean Chandler]

Jamal Stewart drove the Ammers into the lead just beyond the hour mark, Spencer’s drilled cross igniting the move.

Fabio Intumbo’s two reaction saves denied Golcar a leveller on two separate occasions immediately after the opener.

Reggie Waud’s red-card, from the bench, meant both sides remained with eleven on the field.

New signing, centre-half Niall Bent started on the bench behind the returning pair of Jake Boyd and Jai Curran-Nicholls.

Alfie Wilkinson, Mitchell Fox and Jamal Stewart completed five changes to the Ammers’ starting eleven.

Reggie Waud quickly obliged to hit an inviting bouncing ball, albeit 25-yards out, dipping a first-time half-volley straight into Harry Stead’s arms.

The forward was crying out for the cross, minutes later, presumably not the delivery Jamal Stewart dragged across the floor. Crossing from Stewart’s wide-right base position, the move had started on the opposite flank, passing through Fox, Wilkinson and Fialdini.

Alex Hallam successfully beat Kadeem Morton down the Golcar left but the move was stalled by the covering Curran-Nicholls who cleared.

Daniel Naidole was in space centrally just outside the Ammers’ box but shot straight at Fabio Intumbo.

Curran-Nicholls’ powerful header following Mitchell Fox’s corner saw the Ammers defender win the race to the front post but fail to get past Stead’s save in the middle of goal.

A Golcar corner skidded in front of goal but was failed to be put into goal by a mis-hit shot at the loose ball, denied by Intumbo on his knees.

A misfire by Wilkinson deep into his own half, trading possession to Golcar, was quickly followed by a ball over the Ammers defence into Kyle Price before Intumbo closed down the ball on the edge of his box, on the slide.

Dan Stocker finally connected a cross, advanced from right full-back, deep into the Ammers half, finding the glancing header of Naidole, diverted past the far post, keeping the race level at half-time.

Jordan Spencer found Stewart’s head in the box but the forward was challenged in the air successfully by Keiro Lawrence to deny the ball travelling goalwards after the restart.

Forward Stewart was benefitting from his new position in the ‘number 9’ role, replacing the departing Waud, Benjamin Quartey introduced into Stewart’s vacated wide position.

Golcar countered through Slater Barnes driving through the middle before passing right to Price who’s curled effort from inside the box was smothered by Intumbo.

Jamal Stewart drove the Ammers into the lead on 61 minutes, running onto Spencer’s drilled cross into the box.

Spencer chased a Golcar clearance away from the box before turning, on the edge, and drilling a low delivery back into the centre where Stewart only had to pass into goal from the 6-yard box.

Reggie Waud was red-carded from the bench during the celebrations with definite action within the crowd behind the Ammers’ dugout.

Intumbo immediately kept control of Ammers’ lead with two saves denying both shots from inside the box.

Initially, Intumbo dived low to his right to tip onto the upright from Daniel Facey’s powerful shot at the near post, weaving his way just inside the box.

A second save saw Intumbo’s strong hands push Naidole’s shot over the bar from a shot from beside the penalty spot.

Price’s flicked header, with his back to goal, was smothered by the grounded Intumbo who took us into the final ten minutes, Joe Skarz’ cross starting the move.

Stewart looked to extend the lead as he raced past Lawrence into the right of the box before shooting low but wide of the far post.

Jake Boyd steered several headed clearances away from danger to direct the Ammers to victory.

Ammers travel to Emley on Saturday, continuing their NCEL Premier journey.