Ammers return empty-handed against Wombwell

Yorkshire Amateur left The Recreation Ground empty-handed after a 6-0 defeat to Wombwell Town on the opening day of the NCEL Division One season on Saturday.

Jed Rashid & Gadhafi Kiwamuka saw The Wellers with a positive return at the break before Rashid again, Brodie Cooper, Matthew Thornton & an own-goal meant Wombwell profitted with the full three points.

Ammers’ defensive line looked familiar with Saf Rahman, Daniel Leafe, Jake Boyd & Kadeem Morton. Jamie Bedford & Nahom Tesfagerigish also returned.

Five competitive debuts were awarded from the start, Aaren Warner, Callum Hannigan, Rio Hairyes, Jonpaul Sharp and Cole Carter.

Warner tested his luck being hesitant to charge out to a pass forward, resulting in being beaten to it by the forward but he reacted quick enough to block the poked ball forward with his body.

Wombwell struck the net first after Ammers had been allowed the majority share of possession, into eleven minutes played.

Jed Rashid advanced to the edge of the box and turned the ball onto his left foot before shooting across goal into the bottom corner.

Hairyes looked second favourite to Tesfagerigish’s through ball but having won possession, worked a shot by cutting inside the left of the box, blocked by Alf Thompson 6-yards out.

Morton was immediately required after the resulting clearance into Ammers’ half forced him to poke the ball out on the left touchline under pressure.

Wombwell’s pressure paid dividends on Morton on the next occasion, a weak pass from the centre-half into Leafe being intercepted. Stretching the Ammers’ defence with the immediate forward pass, space was made for Brodie Cooper on the edge of the box waiting for his chance to shoot, blocked by his own forward, resulting in a raised flag.

Wombwell doubled their goal tally with a long ball out of their own half and into Gadhafi Kiwanuka was controlled well, allowing him time to place past Warner.

The scorer’s touch presented the ball and man alone behind the Ammers’ defence, making the finish much easier.

Kiwanuka was confident to take advantage of more space in front of Ammers, 30-yards out, dragging wide of the left-hand post just minutes before the half-hour.

The tips of Warner’s fingers denied Wombwell a third, a shot across the grass inside the box, aimed towards the ‘keeper’s left.

Edward Agnew was then the latest to find space ahead of Ammers’ defensive line, a dipping shot dropped wide right of the goal.

Joe Egan was unaware of the ball rebounding off his shin in the box but he almost struck gold, the ball flying wide before the completion of the half.

Ammers’ initial foray forward after the pause had Bedford advanced out of midfield, running onto Carter’s set back, drilling a shot wide.

Wombwell instead extended the lead, profiting from a weak palm from Warner, allowing Rashid time to find the far top corner within six minutes of the second-half.

Hannigan was beaten to the ball in the centre, forcing Warner to the edge of his box to attempt to push away a bouncing ball. Possession was handed to Rashid inside the right of the box, clear of the Ammers defence, allowing him time to find the top left-hand corner.

Rashid was on the end of a one-two on the right to look to assist Agnew in the centre of the box with a cross. The recipient’s side-on body shape made it hard for the first-time effort to be hit with enough connection, flying wide of the near post, narrowly before the final ten minutes.

Wombwell topped up their goal figures through Brodie Cooper’s header from a corner with three minutes remaining.

The in-swinging corner was met with a glancing header from Cooper to guide the ball goalward.

There was time for two further strikes in added-time, both for the hosts.

The first seeing a loose clearance finished from just yards out.

The final strike was an own-goal at the far post, looking to deal with an in-swinging cross from the right.

Yorkshire Amateur can improve their fortunes on Wednesday when they host Louth Town in the NCEL Division One.