Ammers succumb to FA Vase exit

Yorkshire Amateur’s passage through the FA Vase 2nd Round Qualifying was denied by Bishop Auckland who left the Southerns Stadium 5-0 victors on Saturday afternoon.

[Photo by Aaron Badkin]

Further rest was given to several Ammers first-team players, absent too for the midweek trip to Brigg Town in the League Cup.

Liam Henderson (2), Louis Johnson (2) & Dean Thexton were the scorers for the visitors.

Jake Boyd, Birama Diallo & Jonathan Daniel were the three changes to the starting line-up from Wednesday’s League Cup fixture.

A division advantage understandably came with the majority share of possession for the opening periods. The Bishops, out of the Northern League Division One, were escorted wide, however, Charlie Watt running onto a pass adjacent to the left of the Ammers’ box but the flag was raised.

The Bishops followed orders for the opener, Dane Burlace’s cross from the right met by Liam Henderson’s finish on 8 minutes. Burlace’s cross was precisely diverted goalward from Henderson, a side-footed effort with an acute amount of contact to inflict curl onto the ball, away from Wilson’s reach, inside the far post.

The visitors followed the same ritual just a minute later, this time led by Louis Johnson’s run down the right, his cross blocked for a corner. The resulting delivery looked for Henderson but found Wilson’s punch before the follow-up hit the near post and went behind.

Left full-back James Risbrough was the next beneficiary from Bishops’ majority share of possession, able to advance from his high starting position, crossing to Johnson who’s lofted header back across goal took it’s time to drop wide.

It was a mirror copy move for the visitor’s second goal, but for the height of the cross, matched by the diversion of Johnson’s run to the near post on the second occasion.

Burlace from the opposite side tried his luck shooting from 20-yards, tempting Wilson into the dive, the ball running wide.

A rare Ammers resurgence came on the half hour mark, Cole Carter feinting his way through a challenge in the centre to move one-on-one with the centre-half. Frimpong’s pace doubled the number advantage and he was found from over the left shoulder of Carter, the ball hooked into the path of the winger, now facing the Ryan Catterick, only for the forward to slip and gift the ‘keeper an easy collect.

Johnson’s third, again from a cross, was much simpler, tapping in from just yards out. The cross across the grass bypassed everyone in the Ammers’ box, finished by Johnson at the far post.

John Howard’s strike across goal looked to be going comfortably wide. But the path of the ball, across the face of Henderson, tempting the forward to lunge to try make contact, forced Wilson into a diving save, pushing the ball away to his left to keep the score 3-0 at the break.

Wilfred Frimpong, scorer of a hat-trick in Ammers’ last league fixture, was sacrificed following the break, Mboma’s introduction potentially forewarning the threat of Selby Town in league action on Wednesday evening.

The Bishops kept faith with their attacking through width for their fourth goal, Burlace and Henderson combining again. The right full-back escaped constraint of his marker on the visitors’ right-hand side, lifting a cross over the defender, Henderson stalling his run to time his connection with the header to place it into the far bottom corner.

Wilson’s spill almost gifted Auckland a fifth, the ‘keeper recovering to collect the loose ball before it continued across the line.

Birama split a path for himself between a number of Bishop defenders with the magic of his quick feet. His shot was delayed from the edge of the box on his trail infield but after a failed take-on deflected the ball straight into his path, the half-volley was heading under the bar but for Catterick’s strong hold on 70 minutes.

Henderson’s replacement as The Bishops’ central attacking target, Dean Thexton, was beaten to an aerial ball by Fre Trewolde on top of the Ammers’ penalty spot from a delivery from the left.

The forward’s contribution to the scoresheet needed a lot more to deny, a simple rebounded finish into an empty net.

Johnson rounded Wilson but saw his shot blocked on the line, followed up by Thexton at the left-hand post, smashing in for assurance.

On the forefront of Ammers’ concerns is now the visit of Selby Town in the NCEL Division One on Saturday, 7:45pm kick-off.

Tickets for Selby; Adults – £6, Concessions – £4, U16s £3.