Louis Fialdini strike for Ammers insufficent in defeat to The Miners

Yorkshire Amateur couldn’t work a way around The Miners, clocking out with a 3-1 defeat in the NCEL Premier on home turf on Wednesday evening.

Callum Walton dug out a powerful free-kick, drilled past the wall and buried into the bottom right-hand corner to build Maltby a lead at The Southerns Stadium before Alistair Haydock and Frederick Tracey completed their scoring.

Louis Fialdini hit his fifth of the season when he found the net from on top of the goal-line, heading in on the rebound past a downed ‘keeper which built up traction for an Ammers equaliser, with no reward.

Fialdini joined the team, returning from suspension, alongside Birahma Diallo and Wilfred Frimpong, both promoted from the bench. Gervas Chipasha, Sam Pickles and Jamal Stewart were replaced.

High pressure, beginning with Omar Gikineh and ending the Ammers midfield returned possession through Birahma Diallo on the right, inside the first eight minutes.

Frimpong’s screams were answered with a cross-field pass before the winger’s attempted dribble around the outside pushed the ball beyond the far touchline.

The ten-minute mark was monumented with a Maltby free-kick, out-swinging towards the six-yard box, diverted behind goal by a visitor shin.

A quiet ten-minute minute period, broken only for several strong fifty-fifty challenges in midfield, eventually ended by another Maltby corner.

Leading to a scramble in the box, the cross from the left was eventually diverted goalwards by Main but over goal.

Too strong in the tackle from Shohaib Nazir led to the opening goal, direct from Callum Walton’s free-kick.

His powerful strike, from the edge of the box, kept low, drilled into the far bottom right-hand corner.

A loose touch in the Ammers midfield led to a Maltby counter down the right, crossed into the box and headed behind by the covering defender Kadeem Morton.

The corner from the right was headed back across goal and over by Alistair Haydock.

Frimpong was quick to reply from open-play and 25-yards out, cutting inside to lace the ball straight at Dylan Parkin.

Brandon Whitfield was carded for denying Ammers a counter-attack leaving Mitchell Fox with a free-kick from deep.

He landed the ball inside the right of Main’s six-yard box and just out the reach of the head of the stretching Gikineh.

Frimpong’s second-attempt at an equaliser after a similar move was wider of the ‘keeper but also the right-hand post, before half-time.

Lewis Stephens had a perfect opportunity from inside the box to double Maltby’s lead inside the first five minutes of the restart, rolling his defender, turning to goal and shooting left-footed, only to be denied by a deflection behind.

Wilfred Frimpong almost made the most of a one-two between himself and Adam shaw on 51 minutes.

The play begun with Fialdini breaking in midfield before involving Keanan Mannings and eventually Frimpong, deep in midfield.

The recipient used the hold-up play of Shaw, evident throughout the match, to run onto the return pass and entering the left of the box to shoot low, across goal, inches wide.

Fox took one for the team to set Fialdini running through the midfield, benefitting Frimpong on the left who received the ball inside the box and shot first-time at Parkin’s near post, easily smothered.

Maltby registered a second through Alistair Haydock’s unidentified delivery from the right touchline in the 62nd minute.

The ball flew goalwards, regardless of its intentions, and over Smith, landing inside the far side-netting.

Louis Fialdini added his fifth of the season with arguably his easiest to date, the match entering the final twenty minutes.

The forward’s tireless running positioned him in the perfect place to head in the rebound from just a few yards out, past the downed ‘keeper.

Haydock was teed up to add Maltby’s third, unsuccessfully attempting to score his second of the night following strong hold-up play on the edge of the ammers’ box laid the ball back to the midfielder but his shot was blocked.

Adam Shaw teased an equaliser, using quick-feet to get away from his marker on the edge of the Maltby box before his left-footed shot quickly dispelled any excitement, dragging across the turf, easily collected by Parkin.

Wilkinson’s effort was much harder to save, shortly after, narrowly inside the final ten minutes.

A half-volley across goal, from just inside the right of the box, was met by the fully-stretched Parkin, low to his right, conceding a corner.

But The Miners dug in to extend their lead before full-time, Frederick Tracey heading in following a deep free-kick.

Frimpong caused the set-piece, carded for his professional foul while Jake Boyd was absent for the goal following his sin-bin for dissent regarding the referee’s decision.

The angled ball saw Tracey rise highest in the centre of the box and head over Smith, into goal, concluding a successful shift for the visitors.

The Southerns Stadium hosts Barton Town as our next visitors on Saturday in the NCEL Premier, kick-off 3pm.

Ticket prices for Barton: Adults – £6, Concessions – £4