Match report: Fialdini consolation goal in defeat in second pre-season friendly

Louis Fialdini scored the U23s only goal in a 5-1 defeat to Huddersfield Amateurs with further trialists among the squad on Wednesday.

Fialdini scored the fourth and final goal of the first-half, the u23s trailing 3-1 at the break in their second pre-season friendly.

Two further trialists made appearances while first-team experienced Keanan Mannings, Mitchell Fox, Oliver Russon and Oliver Broe were among a group of players unavailable.

Huddersfield were in-behind already on 6 minutes following a direct ball from the centre-half across to their right-wing but the Farsley trialist defender covered on the slide, conceding a corner.

Fares Djermoune began well, collecting the ball on 7 minutes behind Farsley’s two strikers, his first-touch flicking the ball to his right, away from his marker before the defender eventually covered by sliding in and knocking the ball for a corner.

Djermoune took the corner, just missing Jacob Smith’s head at the near post.

The lead was taken by Huddersfield, however, on 11 minutes from inside the box.

A quick throw played the forward in-behind Smith who couldn’t challenge his man inside the box, allowing the forward to place under Toft inside the near post.

Huddersfield doubled their lead on 13 minutes after pressing the Farsley defence and gaining a tap-in.

Pressure from their forwards won the ball back, outnumbering Farsley’s defence. As they advanced into the right of the box, an easy square ball across the goal face was tapped into the centre of the goal.

The visitors got in behind again down the right on 21 minutes but Kadeem Morton reached the ball just in time, just ahead of the forward central in the box and the Farsley defender continued at pace straight over the safety barrier into the terracing.

A Huddersfield forward collected a favourable bounce of the ball inside the box, shooting from close range from the left but Toft denied low at the near post with his legs.

Duncan Dike was forced off through injury. His replacement, a trialist, received the ball on 28 minutes after it deflected to the edge of the box from Ayrton Stewart-Savory’s shot. The trialist hit it first-time, that in-turn deflecting off Reggie Waud to run wide of the left post.

The third goal for Huddersfield came on 29 minutes following a deflected shot from the edge of the box wrong-footed Toft and crawled into the bottom left corner.

A goal for Farsley followed two minutes later with Fialdini unable to miss one-on-one, placing low, beside the ‘keeper.

One Huddersfield striker came short on 33 minutes and controlled with his chest, back to goal, playing the ball to his right into a second forward running behind the Farsley defence, one-on-one. Toft closed the space at his near post, forcing the shot into the side netting.

Fialdini held the ball up 20-yards out, minutes before half-time, back to goal, before shifting the ball away to his right before shooting and almost finding the bottom right corner but for a fully stretched ‘keeper tipping round the near post.

Huddersfield threatened first after the break in space in front of the Farsley defence but the shot from 20-yards went straight to Toft.

Second-half substitute Frimpong beat his marker down the right on 52 minutes and crossed to Waud who flicked the ball on its path across goal where Fialdini slid in at the back post but could only find the side netting.

The fourth goal for Huddersfield followed a minute later after getting in behind again.

A ball over the top of Farsley’s defence, down the right, was crossed to the back post and headed back across goal into the top right corner.

Fialdini received a pass on the edge on the edge of the box, shooting with his second touch, smacking the bottom of the bar with the ball bouncing back out.

Substitute Sidibe had the better of his defenders ever since being introduced in the second half and again created space for a shot, this time centrally, but shooting narrowly wide.

Huddersfield’s fifth goal came on the hour, the forward couldn’t miss one-on-one

Smith was beaten, leaving just Toft to beat and the forward raced away before placing to the ‘keepers left.

Frimpong ran in behind again before cutting back to Fialdini on 61 minutes, inside the box but his shot was denied by the ‘keepers legs.

A Huddersfield cross from the left on 66 minutes was met by the attacker at the near post but Alastal, covering, got a slight touch to divert the ball for a corner.

Farsley pressure centrally on 70 minutes saw the ball poked into Fialdini inside the box but with his back to goal. The forward controlled before turning quickly and shooting from the spot, denied to the ‘keepers left by the stoppers legs. Frimpong glanced wide from the resulting corner and a similar position to the initial shot.

Moussa continued to beat his full-back on Farsley’s left, cutting inside with just a minute left of normal time. He shot right-footed shot but arrowed the ball past the far top corner.

The U23s continue pre-season, visiting Alwoodley on Monday 16th August, 6:45pm kick-off.