U23s’ winning run ended

Farsley u23s six-match winning run, a perfect record in 2022, was halted through two first-half RIASA counter-attacks, extended in the second-half, as the visitors secured a 3-0 victory in the West Riding FA Development Premier at The Citadel on Thursday evening.

Benjamin Quartey was the first debutant of the night, the u19s wing-back replacing the injured TJ Kongolo in the first-half.

Fellow u19 Flavio Tomas’ debut came as he replaced first-team experienced Mwiya Malumo while Matty Hatch swapped with Freddy Bernard.

Both ‘keepers made early saves within the first couple of minutes, firstly Sidibe twisting in the box for Farsley straight from kick-off and then Westcarr punching over on the immediately following attack.

TJ Kongolo’s direct ball, seconds after kick-off, was straight to Sidibe on the left who chopped the ball round the outside of the defender. His attempted cross hit a defender’s leg, pushing the ball into the ‘keeper.

RIASA’s pace was evident early on as their attack down the left, into the box, ended with a powerful shot towards the near post but with Westcarr stopping the effort.

The following corner was short and only deflected into Westcarr’s gloves.

A Farsley lead was stopped by the post with Sidibe attacking dangerously again.

The ball appeared tangled in the legs of Sidibe and his marker but the winger’s quick feet exited with possession, crossing into Malumo who controlled with his chest and volleyed across the ‘keeper and against the frame.

A quick turn of the tide, and attacking end, saw RIASA lead.

The RIASA forward almost wasted a one-on-one but his mis-hit shot rolled into the path of a supporting striker.

A through ball between two Farsley centre-backs put the forward face to face with Westcarr. His effort was going well-wide of goal but straight into the path of a team-mate who forced it inside the near post despite Westcarr’s attempt to claw it away.

Westcarr wasn’t to be beaten by a penalty, minutes later, however.

The visitors were awarded the spot-kick following a similar attack to the goal, Westcarr making a late challenge on the forward, one-on-one, with the attacker alrerady partially round the ‘keeper.

But Westcarr’s save low to his left denied a second goal, the stopper sliding in to the rebound to assure possession was eventually his.

A visiting winger spun off a Farsley defender, down the left-hand side and is allowed into the box.

His low shot ran across goal without a takers.

Then the post is on the end of another fast attack for RIASA.

Cutting inside from the left, the right-footed shot bounced off the wood work, out for a goalkick.

Quartey’s debut came earlier than expected, the wing-back introduced in the first-half for the injured Kongolo.

His first touch was almost an assist, playing a one-tow with Sidibe, setting the ball back for a first-time strike just wide of the far post.

The lead is doubled on forty minutes with another counter.

The attacking run, down the right this time, is buried into the far bottom corner.

The referee awarded a pass-back, handing Farsley an indirect free-kick on the 6-yard line with a minute of first-half normal time remaining.

Fialdini is teed up not once but twice, after encroachment, but the shot’s blocked leaving Farsley trailing at the break.

2nd half

Fialdini breaks through on goal shortly under ten minutes into the second-half, forcing a save with a shot across goal.

Freddy Bernard’s high pass, from inside his own half, brushes the head of the defender and lands into the path of Fialdini. He pushes the ball down the outside of a covering defender, inside the right of the box and aims for the far post but it’s tipped for a corner, eventually coming to nothing.

Debutant Quartey’s speed is needed defensively a minute before the hour.

Racing towards his own goal, he has to hook a cross over his shoulder and away from goal before it landed at the chasing winger behind him.

Two u19s combine as Fialdini passes Quartey through but the low cross wastes the chance, meeting a visiting defender on the penalty spot, to clear.

Bernard’s powerful strike from distance looked to take advantage of Farsley’s possession, flying narrowly over.

Quartey’s much higher position over the last ten minutes leads to Farsley hitting the post,

There’s space left in the centre and it’s utilised by RIASA, shooting from distance but wide.

And the following poor goal-kick results in RIASA’s third.

Passing the visiting forward one v one with the Farsley defender, as quick as he’s cut inside, he’s curled the ball across substitute ‘keeper Cosway.

A red card tempered RIASA’s success slightly minutes before full-time. A second yellow for impeding a quick free-kick.

But it failed to impact the final 3-0 scoreline as the u23s winning run was ended. The u23s have their own Easter fixture pile-up to bounce back from this defeat, playing again on Monday with a visit to I2I Orange at York St John University.