Unrecognisable U16s suffer defeat in pre-season opener

The U16s opened pre-season with a 6-3 at Pontefract Collieries with nine new players in the starting line-up for the Academy’s youngest team.

Max Broadie opened the scoring, Pontefract levelling just minutes later before scoring in first-half added-time to take a lead at the break.

defenders Richy Bamba and Gavin Maleka returned to the starting line-up after playing a year above last year.

Midfielders Shane Silvester and Kieron Murthoo-Williams also returned from last season, on the bench.

Broadie was denied inside 3 minutes, inside the left of the box. He shot left-footed, tipped over at near post.

Again Broadie tested from inside the left of the box, this time cutting onto his right but the shot was blocked.

Pontefract, on the edge of box on 6 minutes, were allowed to advance, against the back 3, in-behind the Farsley midfield but the shot curled away from the far left post.

Adamson’s last ditch challenge on 9 minutes denied Pontefract cutting inside from the right, into te box.

Pontefract went even closer without scoring as a low shot across goal from inside the right of the box went across goal and a second forward slid in, denied by the left-hand post.

A Pontefract cross from the left on 11 minutes, into the box, was caught up in wind, troubling Elsdon, allowing the forward to get to the ball first but a covering Catterall cleared over his own bar.

Broadie’s goal came on his third attempt at getting in-behind.

Broadie used his pace to get one-on-one with the ‘keeper before rounding him to the left poking into the empty net.

Pontefract replied with a cross from the left which found the forward but his touch, central on the edge of the box, allowed Elsdon to collect comfortably.

Elsdon cleared on 21 minutes but only to a Pontefract forward. He passed right which was followed by a first time shot at the space left by the ‘keeper but ends up over.

Pontefract equalised with a mirror of Farsley’s goal.

A ball from central midfield over the Farsley defence into the forward was controlled well this time, eventually rounding Elsdon before poking into an empty net.

Broadie received the ball, facing away from goal on 29 minutes, turning before nut-megging his marker while running at goal. He shot from outside the box but straight at the ‘keeper.

Farsley almost restored their lead as a free-kick from the left near the goalline made its way to the penalty spot, deflected towards the Pontefract goal but straight at the ‘keeper who parried away in anyway possible.

Pontefract almost took the lead themselves as Gavin Maleka was beaten down the Pontefract right before the cross across the goal face was eventually shot towards goal but deflected onto the bar.

Elsdon’s double-save then kept Farsley just one behind.

Cheyne lost possession in the centre of Farsley’s half, allowing a shot which was tipped over the bar.

The resulting corner rattled around bodies in the penalty box before being poked towards goal and again tipped by Elsdon, this time onto his bar.

Pontefract eventually took the lead in the first-half added-time.

A shot across goal found the bottom right corner.

Farsley almost levelled a minute into the second-half. Maleka won the ball on half-way before passing into the path of Broadie. He poked the ball round his defender on the right but his cut back, inside the box, was blocked by a covering defender.

Instead Pontefract scored just a minute later.

The forward received a pass inside the box before shooting into the bottom corner.

Pontefract extended their lead with their fourth in the 50th minute.

A low cross from the right found a forward at the near post who placed, first-time, into the bottom corner.

Pontefract’s fifth came in the 63rd minute.

The ball forced it way under Elsdon legs but stopping any pace the ball had and denying the goal. However, the keeper committed was out of position and the pass back across goal is placed into the space at the far right post.

Pontefract scored their sixth on 70 minutes.

Elsdon pushes the initial shot away to his right, only into the path of a second forward who placed in from close range.

Farsley replied in the 75th through u15 Rafael Matzinhe.

Cutting onto his right, inside box, he finished from beside the penalty spot.

Farsley completed the scoring in added-time with Gavin Maleka.

Maleka, now in midfield, curled from the left edge of the box, into the far top corner.

The U16s’ second pre-season friendly is against Doncaster School Boys on Saturday 14th August.