Waud scores all five to progress U23s into semi-finals

Reggie Waud’s four second-half goals added to his earlier strike to turn round a 3-1 first-half deficit and progress the U23s to the Semi-Final of the West Riding FA Senior Cup, beating Pontefract Collieries 5-3.

Three Pontefract goals scored from free-kick deliveries gave the hosts a first-half lead.

Semi-final opponents will be the winner of Thursdays tie between Emley AFC or i2i Black.

Louis Fialdini was forced off due to a toe injury in the 8th minute, being replaced by Ayrton Stewart-Savory.

Waud had his first chance just 3 minutes in when he himself was fouled 25 yards out. Central, the free-kick curled low round the right of the wall but also the post.

Fialdini stayed on the floor after the set-piece, appearing to hold his foot, and left the pitch for treatment.

There was bigger problems than a long-ball flying too high for Waud on 7 minutes as Fialdini returned to the floor due to a toe injury and was eventually replaced by Ayrton Stewart-Savory

The substitute looked to make an immediate impact, running with the ball from the half-way line on 11 minutes. He eventually reached the edge of the box and knocking the ball slightly to his left to shoot left-footed but it was parried away by the ‘keeper’s low dive.

Another Farsley direct ball, two minutes later, is defended ahead of Waud and passed forward first time forward. A resulting shot from Pontefract taken quickly from the edge of Farsley’s box is hooked wide of Toft’s right post.

Mitchell, deep inside his own half on 14 minutes, lofted a ball over all defenders and found Waud in-behind but the flag was up.

Toft was forced to tip over from a cross from the left, beating a challenging attacker at his far post.

The resulting corner from the right requires another punch, this time only to the opposite wing which leads to a third cross and a third punch, this time powerfully away from goal.

Pontefract kept threatening, another cross but from a free-kick this time, 25-yards out which curled low but wide of the far right post.

Reggie’s opening goal on 21 minutes extended his goal-scoring run to five matches.

Mitchell was again the provider, pressing and retrieving the ball central, on the half-way line. He took one touch and passed low, ahead of the run of Waud inside the right of the box who put the ball out of the reach of the ‘keeper into the bottom left corner.

Pontefract were level just two minutes later, however, with another cross from a set-piece.

In a very similar position to the last, the free-kick this time was curled round the right of the wall, swinging back inside the near left post.

A squaring-up of players from both sides unfolded following a challenge from Waud on 24 minutes. The referee spoke with Waud and a Pontefract player without any cards shown.

Pontefract’s second came from another free-kick, on 26 minutes.

Similar width to the last free-kick but from a deeper angle, the ball was flicked forward at the near post, redirecting the flight path into a Farsley defender who couldn’t get out of the way and put the ball into his own net.

Pontefract crossed again, from the left, this time met first by Adam Maywand at the back post but actually deflected towards his own net with Toft saving low to his left.

 Waud was called upon again, flicking a direct ball forward on with his head which beat two defenders and played the ball into the path of Masuku in-behind. The beneficiary, inside the box, used the outside of his right-foot, aiming at the bottom left corner but the shot was pushed away by the ‘keeper.

Stewart-Savory continued the Farsley press on 30 minutes, intercepting the ball but only deflecting it towards the left corner flag. The defender regained the ball but his back-pass was short, tempting Stewart-Savory to again chase a loose ball, winning the second race but again only deflecting the ball, out for a goal-kick.

Toft was tested with a powerful half-volley on 36 minutes after a knock down on the egde of the box. The ball bounced perfectly for a hard strike but without having to move, the ‘keeper was strong enough to tip over the bar.

A scramble between a group of players inside the box from the corner was eventually back-heeled towards goal but Toft again denied, this time with his legs.

Pontefract’s third came from a direct free-kick, lofting over Toft and all his defenders

From the right touch-line, a left-footed in-swinging free-kick rose over everyone inside the box, including Toft and into the net.

Oliver Broe’s own cross from his right-wing was only inches over the group in the box and was literally the last kick of the first-half.

Pontefract had the first half-chance of the second-half on 50 minutes, failing to move Toft with a shot from 35 yards.

Pontefract’s free-kick later in the same minute was missed by Toft’s punch on the edge of the box. The ball is cleared but only to just outside the box, the attacker attempting to chip Toft who saves as he tracks back to his goal.

Waud and Farsley’s second came from the spot on 53 minutes.

Waud himself positioned his body infront of his defender, inside the left of the box after a direct ball forward. The defender’ outstretched leg attempting to win the ball infact tripped Waud for a penalty. The keeper dived left but Waud passed to his right.

Toft denied Pontefract again just minutes later from a half-volley on the edge of his box was saved low to the ‘keeper’s right.

Waud completed his second hat-trick in two knock-out matches with his easiest of the night on 68 minutes.

A cross from the left rose over all defenders and hit Keanan Mannings without the midfielder being able to control it. Waud benefitted and shot from beside the penalty spot, first-time inside the near right post.

Waud’s best goal followed a minute later and gave Farsley the lead once again.

A direct ball into Waud inside the left of the box, bounced before Waud swivelled his body 90 degrees to hit a left-footed half-volley over the ‘keeper which dipped inside the far post.

Three goals in four minutes for Waud was completed with a trademark free-kick.

The ball curled over the wall and to the ‘keepers left making it five for both the U23s and Waud on the night.

Toft was tested again before the final whistle, on 84 minutes, tipping wide of the top right corner at the back post from a dipping attempt.

Toft’s attempted gather of the resulting corner was dropped but the ball was eventually cleared.

Ben Henderson’s head injury forced him off and left the U23s a man less in the final minutes with all out-field substitutes having been used.

The U23s’ semi-final opponents will be the winner of Thursday’s tie between the familiar Emley AFC, winners of Farsley’s group B, or i2i Black.