Yorkshire Amateur drop points in defeat at Handsworth

Yorkshire Amateur dropped further points in the NCEL Premier Division after a 9-1 defeat to Handsworth on Saturday afternoon.

Mitchell Dunne and Leon Howarth both grabbed hat-tricks at The Express Worktops Stadium, each scoring from the spot on a single occasion.

Sam Pickles took the lead for the Ammers in the 11th minute with a first-time finish inside the box.

New signing Ibrahim Abdi made his full debut whilst Fabio Intumbo returned in goal and Mike Jones recovered from an eye-injury to start.

Louis Fialdini’s range remained in from his goal in midweek, albeit squeezing in a shot with his weaker foot from the edge of the box which was easily caught by the left-hand post.

As per Wednesday, the hosts had a good feel of possession whilst The Ammers’ organisation forced long-balls over the top, safely to Intumbo.

Handsworth left full-back Richard Tootle passed on to Mitchell Dunne with a cross-field ball out of his own half, into the box but the receiver’s shot sliced wide of the near post.

And The Ammers’ patience paid off through Sam Pickles’ first-time finish inside the box in the 11th minute.

Kadeem Morton rewon possession before finidng Fialdini midway into the Handsworth half.

The forward chipped a pass left, over the Handsworth defence, into Reggie Waud inside the box.

Waud’s mis-hit cross was perfectly placed for Pickles in-field to place inside the near post.

Fialdini almost had two assists after hooking a loose ball over his shoulder into Abdi, who controlled before hitting a weak, right-footed effort, curled into Ben Townsend’s hands.

Joe Parkin dug his way through the Ammers’ midfield on a counter-attack before his effort was blocked on the edge of the box.

Intumbo then tipped over Jonathan Hill’s close-range half-volley at the back post following a corner from the left which by-passed the crowd in the middle of the box.

Handsworth clawed back level through Dunne’s finish across goal, inside the box on 17 minutes.

James Fyles’ cut inside assisted the equaliser, eventually passing through the Ammers’ defence into the run of Dunne.

Fyles’ drilled cross, minutes later, beside the left of the box, met no touch as it ran across goal.

Fialdini and Waud linked once again, the former turning from a pass out of midfield from Pickles.

The pass round the Handsworth right full-back put Waud into the box but his placed effort dragged along the floor.

Handsworth took the lead through Elliot Walker’s impressive chip from the edge of the right of the box on 21 minutes.

The right full-back latched onto a direct ball as the most advanced Handsworth player before hitting a first-time chip over Intumbo, the ‘keeper now positioned directly infront of Walker on the edge of his box, the ball landing inside the far side-netting.

Two minutes later came Handsworth’s third, Fyles one-on-one with Intumbo before poking in.

Howarth nicked a fourth for Handsworth inside first-half added-time.

The goalscorer finished a loose ball, first-time, inside the box, drilled low into goal.

Intumbo spilled Jonathan Williams’ corner from the right, before recovering to dive low to block a shot on the edge of his area after the break.

Fialdini’s foul in the resulting melee led to Intumbo saving again, low to his right to deny the free-kick, curling into goal.

Jonathan Williams grabbed the second attempt with both hands, scoring direct from a set-piece from a similar position as the one moments prior.

His arrowed effort took a deflection on it’s way into the bottom left-hand corner.

Second-half substitute Williams was denied his second only by the post, running onto the ball in the box and shooting left-footed across goal.

Ammers too were denied by the woodwork, Spencer’s cross to the far post met by Sam Meeson’s diving header, lifting the ball onto the top of the bar.

Right-winger Meeson, introduced at half-time, then went alone with several step overs to cut inside and shoot high over.

Handsworth’s sixth came from the spot after Mike Jones pulled down Rion Arbouin.

Mitchell Dunne buried the low shot into the left-hand corner, Intumbo direct correct.

Dunne collected his hat-trick with a near post header, minutes later, for Handsworth’s seventh.

Handsworth’s second penalty of the night was awarded after Spencer’s foul.

Leon Howarth finished into the top left-hand corner.

Kadeem Morton was forced off injured with a minute remaining of normal time.

The second hat-trick of the afternoon was completed by Howarth poking in from on top of the goal line following a cross from the right.

There’s an 11-day break for The Ammers in the NCEL following this fixture, Golcar visiting The Southerns Stadium on Wednesday 26th October, kick-off 7:45pm.