Yorkshire Amateur trumped by The Wells in 3-0 defeat

Yorkshire Amateur’s luck was out against Hemsworth Miners Welfare, losing 3-0 in the NCEL Premier on Wednesday evening.

Jason Davis doubled up with goals for The Wells at the Southerns Stadium before Andrew Horbury’s third in added-time.

Mark Maspero eventually got to play his trump card – experienced midfielder Mike Jones – who captained the side on his Ammers’ debut.

Jamie Cosway also debuted, replacing the injured Aiden Smith in goal, while Yasen Omar’s introduction made it three.

Ammers conceded two early crosses within the first several minutes, firstly from the Hemsworth left but the more dangerous delivery came a mintue later from the opposite wing, finding the head of Seon Ripley who diverted to goal but inches over.

Wilfred Frimpong gathered the ball inside from his left-wing base, had time to turn and play in Jordan Spencer overlapping shortly inside the opening 15 minutes.

Spencer’s delivery was affected from his slip on the sodden pitch from the pre-match downpour, slicing straight into Ally hughes’ hands.

Kadeem Morton’s ball from the half-way line stuck to Jamal Stewart’s foot on the edge of the box. His hold-up play provided Frimpong possession to his left but his shot was denied by Hemsworth clearing.

Hemsworth’s immediate counter led to another Ripley header, hitting the post this time, looping over Cosway, against the upright before being cleared by Morton.

Wilkinson’s gain from the arrival of Jones alongside Warwick-Davis was possession higher up the field and he runs onto a loose ball 25-yards out, 25 minutes in, to shoot at the top left-hand corner, saved by Hughes.

Hemsworth took the lead in the 29th-minute through Jason Davis when he ran onto a long Hughes clearance from goal, the winger then cutting inside and hitting the inside of the far side-netting.

Hughes’ long clearance, with Warwick-Davis chasing, found Davis running beyond the Ammers’ defence.

The retreating Morton was beaten by Ripley’s cut inside to a more favourable angle to arrow a straight shot across goal and past Cosway to give Hemsworth a 1-0 lead into half-time.

An uneventful opening 20 minutes of the second-half was broken up slightly by Frimpong’s forced substitution due to injury and Warwick-Davis’s yellow card.

The game was livened by Hemsworth’s and Davis’ second, the winger alone at the far left-hand post to finish.

Kongolo was caught in possession at the left of Ammers’ defence, allowing The Wells to cross along the box to the where Davis is alone to pass the ball beside the left of Cosway.

Fialdini’s free-kick entering the final twenty minutes was dragged along the floor and wide of the near left-hand post.

On the turn of the river, Ammers turned to their deck and introduced Yasen Omar for his debut alongside regular Keanan Mannings.

But Hemsworth flashed three of a kind with Andrew Horbury’s goal in added-time.

Another ball across the Ammers box, to the left, saw Horbury have time to control and seal The Well’s grip on the prize pot at full-time.

The Ammers travel to North Ferriby in their next NCEL fixture on Saturday 1st October, kick-off 3pm.