Yorkshire Amateur’s Knaresborough trip ends in defeat.

Yorkshire Amateur’s trip to Knaresborough was clouded with defeat, losing 3-1 at Manse Lane in the NCEL Premier on Saturday.

A quick spell of three goals in the first thirty minutes dampended the Ammers’ chances.

Wilfred Frimpong brightened the Ammers’ hopes in the second-half with a powerful 25-yard free-kick into the top corner.

New signing Shohaib Nazir started alongside a full debut for Adam Shaw after his substitute appearance against Silsden.

Knaresborough opened proceedings when gifted with possession from converted full-back Jake Boyd’s mis-placed square pass inside the opening five minutes.

Danny Edwards flicked the ball behind the Ammers’ defence, first-time, ahead of Joseph Navier whose shot is high.

Nazir immediately took set-piece responsibilities for the Ammers, chipping a 25-yard free-kick to Omar Gikineh but it was too close to Thomas Brown who caught easily.

And Knaresborough opened the floodgates immediately, taking the lead by instantly planting the ball on the edge of the Ammers’ box and into Danny Edwards to finish.

A direct pass, high into the air, landed at Edwards in acres of space who used his wide-left starting position to curl a low, right-footed effort close past the right of Aidan Smith.

The downpour continued in the first fifteen minutes, finished with Brad Walker being the beneficiary of another pass in-behind Yorkshire Amateur’s defence.

Cole Wildin, from midfield, found Walker with a through ball between the Ammers’ defence before the recipient found the bottom right-hand corner.

A third was added on the hour when Philip Milsom couldn’t miss from a yard out.

A deep free-kick was headed across goal by Danny Edwards at the back post and Milsom ran in at the far right-hand post for a tap in.

The post denied Kanresborough a fourth, Edwards attempting a second after rounding the challenge of Gikineh in the box.

Thomas Dugdale also attempted to add to the tally, using quick feet to dribble away from the Ammers’ central-midfielders before hitting a low effort across goal but it’s saved by Smith low to his left.

Defender Omar Gikineh’s back-heeled flick from Fox’s free-kick, was Ammers’ best response.

Edwards’ confidence was evident by his attempted acrobatic volley, side on to goal, which curled away from the top-left corner, close enough to claim a gasp from the home crowd.

Sam Pickles countered down the right in attempt to close the gap into half-time but his cross looked empty of threat with it’s height, until it dropped to Shaw at the far post whose header forced Thomas Brown to parry for a corner.

Jamal Stewart raced behind the Knaresborough defence following Pickles’ through ball but it was a false start after the break, the linesman’s flag being raised.

Stewart’s hold-up play, however, proved again it’s role as a routine procedure for the Ammers, the forward then able to flick the ball over his own head and into Frimpong.

The winger, in turn found Pickles by continuing the ball out to the right with the recipient entering  the box before attempting to cut inside, round his marker, but his move was read.

Pickles was then the creator. A one-two between his own feet helped him round his defender, inside his own half, before finding Shaw positioned deep.

Shaw was allowed to turn and pass the ball between Knaresborough’s defence but it was too far ahead of Frimpong’s run.

With little under twenty minutes remaining, Frimpong’s 25-yard free-kick closed the deficit and took

Ammers’s higher possession share after the break was taken advantage of eventually, through Frimpong’s 25-yard free-kick with just under twenty minutes remaining.

Just right of centre, Frimpong’s arrowed effort was best tailored to find the top right-hand corner.

Now on the opposite flank, Frimpong cut inside to win another free-kick which he understandably took but was disappointing in the conviction, hitting the edge of the wall.

Knaresborough’s ‘keeper Thomas Brown handled outside of the box and was carded, only a yellow, despite arguably denying Ammers into goal.

Frimpong again stood over the free-kick and beat the wall but Brown needn’t move to make the save.

Knaresborough’s attack was purely down the right-wing in the second-half and Joseph Navier’s cross against the far touchline replicated his one 5 minutes prior, too high, evading all targets.

Frimpong was unfazed by switching wings and attacked the outside of Knaresborough’s defence with ease, into the box.

His low cross was cleared, initially, only to the penalty spot with Ammers’ attackers swarming but not able to reach the ball before Knaresborough dealt with it properly.

Stewart’s strength with his back to goal again bettered his marker who was tight into the Ammers’ forward’s back but Stewart could turn and shoot from inside the box – Brown again stagnant while saving Knaresborough’s two-goal cushion into full-time.

A visit from Maltby Main continues the NCEL Premier campaign at The Southerns Stadium on Wednesday evening, kick-off 7:45pm.

Tickets for Maltby Main: Adults – £6, Concessions – £3