Ammers frozen out of the points at Louth

Yorkshire Amateur were unable to gather enough traction to retaliate against their eventual 2-0 defeat against Louth Town at an almost freezing Welton Group Stadium on Saturday.

Kieran Perry & Bradley Coulam’s strikes, both in the second-half, undid Ammers’ first-half resilience in the NCEL Division One.

Alex Aldrich had a goal dissalowed at 1-0, the referee given a helping hand by the linesman who caught the Louth centre-half’s handball to push the ball into goal.

Tewolde’s misplaced pass forward into Frimpong, with space ahead of the winger, brought upon unnecessary pressure but Louth were unable to capitalise.

Kongolo, with possession from deep moments later, did send the ball into Frimpiong’s path, again the space evident.

Frimpong fancied this evening’s test against right full-back Callum Brown, the defender digging a hole in the floor as the Ammers winger turned him right and then left, cutting inside to shoot wide of the near post on 14 minutes.

Brown recovered points in their individual battle by his marking of Frimpong as Ammers countered. Rio Korbel broke through the middle and chose his left option out of the three players accompanying him. Brown cut Frimpong off as he turned inside.

Louth connected directly with the bar following a long ball forward, the ball landing at Joshua Parker inside the right of the box to lace a shot against the woodwork.

Louth held a good stint of possession before the half hour mark, their back four beyond the half-way line as a result.

Forward Moussa Diallo’s awareness of the space ahead of him was matched by the vision of the pass from upon Ammers’ box, Alex Aldrich’s weak clearance spared by the offside flag.

Louth lofted a free-kick to the far post and towards Aldrich, on the slide, met by Viles just yards out from goal to block the shot, sending the ball spinning back out to the Louth left.

Diallo held his position wide left fresh from the previous move and received the ball alone on the touchline. It opened up space centrally when the cross landed on the opposite side of the box for a` shot at goal, flying wide.

Both Louth centre-halves, flicked on by Sam Swinn and then headed to goal by Aldrich, combined to force Viles to tip over after a testing corner from the right as the match crept into half-time with nothing to cheer as of yet.

Louth’s directness after the break initially unlocked Ammers’ block, Jordan Smith receiving with his back to goal and moving possession to Louth’s right. The quick cross towards the far post is intercepted by the covering Amari Smith, positioned under the ball’s descent to head clear.

The following delivery opened the scoring. A delivery from the Louth left was pushed away by Viles but Kieran Perry’s follow-up header dropped inside the ‘keeper’s right-hand post on 54 minutes.

The game temporarily turned end to end, initially through Ammers and Frimpong, centrally, Alex Lait meeting the low shot to his right to parry back into the crowd.

Louth and Finlay Drakes returned the favour down their right, crossing to an alone Oliver Kendall inside the box who made it easy for Viles, side-footing the ball straight ahead of himself, into the ‘keeper’s grasp.

Viles was at the rescue again, diving with both hands to his left to deny Smith shooting at the near.

Aldrich was then both denied a goal and booked for his handball which pushed the ball into goal.

A minute later and Bradley Coulam made no mistake with a rebound to double Louth’s lead. As Ammers failed  to clear, Coulam ran onto the ball on the edge of the box and powered it inside the near right-hand post, on 66 minutes.

Frimpong missed the chance to swing momentum back into Ammers favour, a mis-kick inside the box, misjudging the bounce of Morton’s cross from the right, the provider having skipped over a late challenge en route.

Countering, Jordan Smith placed a low effort across goal, Viles correctly meeting a late bounce of the ball to push away to his left.

Inside the final ten minutes and Louth’s no. 10 Oliver Kendall won the race to the ball inside Ammers’ box, his shot rushed by the charging Viles resulting in the ball being poked into the ‘keepers’ chest who closed the angle well.

A similar position for Louth just minutes after, this time caused by Ammers themselves and Ali Tunkara’s miscontrol deep on Ammers’ right-hand side. He’s intercepted by Harris Dunn who is understandably disappointed to fire over, one-on-one.

That’s despite his side having already done enough to end victors at the forthcoming full-time whistle.

Nostell Miners Welfare are next up, visiting The Southerns Stadium on Saturday 2nd December, 3pm kick-off.

Yorkshire Amateur line-up: Viles, Morton, Tewolde (Tunkara ’82), Kongolo, Boyd, Smith, Frimpong, Korbel, M. Diallo (Pearson ’76), Omar (Hines ’72), B. Diallo. Subs not used: Campbell.