Ammers move clear of drop after safely beating Worsbrough

Ammers moved two points clear of the NCEL Division One relegation zone after beating Worsbrough Bridge Athletic 4-0 on Wednesday evening.

Connor Glavin was sent off for Worsbrough Bridge when he planted his studs into Jack Viles’ chest in first-half added-time. Andy Horbury’s sin-bin for his protests reduced the visitors’ personnel even further temporarily.

Ammers, with strength in numbers, took full advantage before half-time through both possession and a resulting lead via Ralph Bertrand.

Before Horbury’s return, Bruce Fernando picked his space in the top, left-hand corner from 25-yards out to move Ammers into a greater position.

Marcel Chigumira’s return to the side was marked with a goal followed by Wilfred Frimpong’s Panenka to finish off.

Theju Kongolo & Ralph Bertrand were the other two inductees from those that started against Glasshoughton last Saturday.

It took just two touches to lighten up a stagnant start, Finlay Wade’s close control permitting him to play in Marcel Chigumira. Worsbrough, surrounding target man Andy Horbury to react to their direct attempts, left Brett Souter to come, then don’t for the ball in-behind, Chigumira running too wide to cause too much threat.

Nathan Moss read the flight of a diagonal ball, left-to-right, better than Liam Parker, the ball rebounding off the Ammers defender’s back, dropping to Moss’ feet, which were unable to find the bottom corner when placing the ball across goal.

Layton Swain ran beyond and adrift of Horbury, into the left channel of Ammers’ box to lead Worsbrough’s attack instead, riding Kadeem Morton’s challenge but Viles was close behind, parrying clear.

Chigumira supports Raph Bertrand’s infield run, the target-man shaping his body to return the ball to the winger first-time but it’s weak, allowing the centre-half to meet the ball at the same time as Bertrand and force the ball clear.

It’s like for like from Ammers with Chigumira the target who’s beaten in the air but Birama Diallo was first to the second ball. Chigumira moved deeper, beside Diallo which has him facing goal when he’s found, working space for an inaccurate shot.

Swain was the speed to Horbury’s strength and he beats Kongolo in the race towards the left half-space inside Ammers’ box. Kongolo’s recovery forces Swain wide and it comes to nothing.

Glavin’s straight red card handed Ammers the initial advantage whilst both teams had previously equalled each other in all areas till first-half added-time. Viles gathered the ball into his chest with both arms before Glavin was late in his attempts, studs showing and placed into Viles’ chest.

Whilst the linesman’s opinion was considered, Horbury’s wasn’t to be, sinbinned for his part in the argument.

As expected, Ammers controlled the ball, resulting in a lead entering half-time with Bertrand finishing from just several yards out. Ammers, camped outside Worsbrough’s box, found Bertrand’s run inside the left of the area for him to place beyond Souter.

Bruce Fernando was inch perfect in finding the top, left-hand corner, utilising the space whilst the visitors were down to nine temporarily. Diallo travelled inside from the left with Fernando in formation to his right. Receiving the ball, Worsbrough’s back line, outnumbered, were forced to retreat, Fernando making sure Souter too had no chance of blocking the driven effort.

Horbury’s presence returning from his disciplinary was mainly being supported by the pace of Harley Holt from direct attempts down the left. Worsbrough went the aerial route again, cleared out to Lewis O’Connor, central outside the box to strike over, closing in on an hour played.

Alex Hutchinson replaced Holt inside the left half-space inside the box but the shot’s wide.

Chigumira was given a free run at goal to put Ammers three ahead. The Worsbrough centre-half messes up his clearance, Chigumira countering and left one-on-one as the ball somehow continued on it’s path. Souter looked to amend the mistake by closing the gap, allowing Chigumira to chip the advanced ‘keeper.

Holt’s pace can’t get him in-behind Kongolo, instead cutting inside into the space infront of the defender and shooting straight at Viles.

The winger’s central lying position moments later sees him benefit by collecting a loose ball cleared to the edge of Ammers’ box, looking to curl it towards the far post but Viles tips away to his left.

Chigumira holds onto the ball long enough for Frimpong to be an option in-behind to his left. Frimpong is ahead of his marker but Souter is equal to it, his body blocking the low effort away from danger.

Horbury doesn’t make the most of his chance just yards out, meeting a cross from the right with a header all but on top of Viles but the ball rebounds off the ground before being caught by the Ammers ‘keeper.

Worsbrough’s threat out wide earns them a free-kick from the left touchline. It’s flicked on at the near post but only to Viles who restarts play immediately through Frimpong’s run towards the left. The winger is beaten to the ball but Ammers eventually regain possession and Newton Conde has the space outwide but he can’t be found with a wayward pass looking to switch play.

He proves he doesn’t need it, inverted from the right, going left then right, clear inside the box, too cute in the finish, skimming the outside of the far post looking for the bottom corner.

Worsbrough’s concern over Frimpong’s pace caught up with them, the winger almost around ‘keeper Souter before being fouled inside the box. The winger took charge of the following penalty, his Panenka lifted over Souter.

The result confirming Ammers lift out of the drop zone by two points.

Twelve ‘cup finals’ remain according to manager Jake Boyd, beginning at Brigg Town’s EC Surfacing Stadium on Saturday 2nd March, 3pm kick-off.