Ammers pay penalty of Gelder’s spot-kick deciding defeat at Hemsworth

Yorkshire Amateur narrowly fell short of the mark at The Just Football MDC Stadium with Ben Gelder’s penalty making the difference on Saturday afternoon in the NCEL Premier.

The referee pointed to the spot once he’d decided Toby Harris had held his attacker during a Hemsworth corner.

Adam Fowler thought he’s given Ammers the lead before the flag ruled out his header from Harris’ cross.

‘Keeper Oliver Ford made his debut alongside the full debuts of Harris and Jack Headley whilst Saf Rahman also debutised, off the bench. Omar Gikineh returned with a starting spot whilst Matty Hatch and Birama Diallo rejoined the matchday squad, on the bench.

Despite starting with a strong share of possession, Ammers and Gikineh were almost caught out with a sliced clearance, fortunately running away to Hemsworth’s left.

The follow-up cross was met almost as delicately by Nash Connolly’s header at the near post, flicking across goal and wide.

Ammers matched the hosts’ pace to test Ally Hughes in goal, Mannings heading back into the box at the far right-hand post after a corner and creating a close-range effort, palmed away from goal.

Marcel Chipamunga’s 25-yard shot allowed Ford to remain untested in the opening ten minutes of his debut.

His palms stung five minutes later after Ben Gelder’s left-footed powerful strike, shaking his marker on the edge of the box before shifting inside.

Ford getting down low to smother a tame back-heeled effort from the edge of the box a minute later typified Hemsworth’s increased possession, if anything.

Chipamunga then touched – but only that – a deep cross from the right, sliding in at the far post.

Adam Fowler thought he had gave Ammers the lead when his glancing header dropped into the far side-netting but he was adjudged offside before Harris’ cross was delivered from the right.

Gikineh’s two attempts at restoring the lead were denied both times by Hughes.

Firstly, a header at the far post following a corner which was spilled.

The defender then half-volleyed the follow-up straight into Hughes’ chest.

The opener had to come from the spot and through Ben Gelder after the ref decided Harris was holding his attacker from a Hemsworth corner.

Ben Gelder placed the ball out of Ford’s reach, into the bottom left-hand corner.

Niall Bent’s turn to glance a header from within Hughes’ box dropped the outside of the same post Fowler had got the better of earlier.

Wilkinson’s side-footed shot deflecting over the bar epitomised the end-to-end tie, the midfielder showcasing the box-to-box role having defended a corner no more than twenty seconds before meeting Newton Conde’s cross to the edge of the box.

A similar counter finished with Fowler spotting Hughes off his line and attempting a chip but it had to be tipped over by the retreating ‘keeper.

Gibbon’s sliding challenge to block Connolly’s cross kept The Ammers chasing by just the one goal into half-time.

Spencer couldn’t do anymore with his cross, finding both Harris and Bent at the back post but after the former misjudged his jump, Bent failed to anticipate to attack the ball.

Jakub Hebda weaved his way into the Ammers’ box and forced a corner with his following shot.

The delivery from the right was met by Barks’ header in the middle of the crowd, denied by Ford and cleared.

A direct ball into the path of Chipamunga, signifying Hemsworth’s intent, saw the winger cut inside and attempt from distance.

Cameron Clark had time and space to advance into Ammers’ half before lacing a shot from 30-yards, out of Ford’s reach and rebounding off the bar.

The post then denied The Wells and Ben Gelder’s second, cutting in from the left and attacking the near post with a powerful shot.

Rahman’s night began in the 72nd-minute to cap his debut, replacing Harris.

Spencer was visibly disappointed with his next crossing attempt, finding only Hughes’ hands on this occasion, entering the final fifteen minutes.

Having been dismissed of free-kick responsibilities on the previous occasion, Clark delivered this one from a tighter angle, only to be headed clear.

Spencer’s enjoyment down the left continued with an arrowed cross towards the far post, down the corridor, forcing a corner.

The resulting delivery was far inferior, cleared comfortably by a head amongst the crowd.

Barks was again, understandably the target for Hemsworth’s corner, lofting a header back over the huddle, just wide of the right-hand post.

Headley seized the opportunity – after Spencer’s retraction – to instead focus Ammers’ attack down the right-hand side, almost connecting his cross with Juwara’s head at the far post, moments before five added-minutes were shown on the board.

An equaliser almost came in those five minutes, Juwara controlling with his chest on the edge of the box, setting the ball down between two Wells’ defenders and shooting across goal, wide of the left-hand post. The Ammers unable to close the gap before the final whistle.

The Southerns Stadium hosts Frickley in our next NCEL fixture, Saturday 14th, 3pm kick-off.