Ammers’ time in FA Vase cut short by Longridge in first round qualifying exit

Yorkshire Amateur’s time in the FA Vase was cut short with their exit in the first-round qualifying stage following a 6-1 defeat to Longridge Town at the Southerns Stadium on Saturday.

(Photo by Brogan Atack)

Ben Fletcher scored a claim for goal of the tournament already at this stage, volleying into the top corner from outside the area to add Longridge’s third after two goals in two minutes had seen the visitors take the lead.

Curtis Poole added his second and assisted Longridge’s fifth after half-time, with time remaining for Conor Linighan to complete the scoring in the final seconds.

Omar Gikineh scored our only reply, lobbing a header over James Aspinall minutes before the break.

New signing Aidan Smith started in goal whilst Sam Pickles and Keanan Mannings replaced Sam Meeson and Alfie Wilkinson.

Kane Clarke worked the ball onto his right foot for the match’s first shot, shooting a powerful effort for the Ammers, straight at Aspinall.

A mis-control by Kadeem Morton created Longridge’s opening effort.

Jack Arrowsmith picked up the loose ball after Dean Ing’s blocked shot and the recipient attempted to curl into the bottom-right corner but Aidan Smith caught it comfortably.

Kian Makepeace’s aim was more accurate for the opening goal, converting a first-time finish into the far corner after Arrowsmith’s cross from the left on 17 minutes.

Ing dummied Ben Fletcher’s pass from midfield, allowing the ball to run into Arrowsmith. The winger got space before the far touchline to drill a cross into Makepeace’s run in the centre of the box for the latter to open his body to hit a first-time, side-footed finish across goal.

It was two in two minutes for Longridge after Poole’s strike from distance.

Immediately after kick-off, Poole ran the ball along the edge of the Ammers’ box before hitting a powerful effort past the left of Smith.

Then followed Fletcher’s moment to remember as he added Longridge’s third.

The captain’s volley from the edge of the box flew out of reach of the planted Smith in goal and into the top right-hand corner.

Omar Gikineh’s headed reply saw the Ammers within distance of the visitors at half-time.

Mitchell Fox’s free-kick from the left landed at Gikineh towards the back post who’s header lobbed ‘keeper Aspinall before dipping under the bar.

Fletcher arguably should have had his own second goal before half-time, escaping Morton by cutting inside from the right and shooting at the near post, smothered by Smith.

Poole took his second chance, however, for Longridge’s fourth after the break.

The scorer rolled the ball down the edge of the box towards goal, onto his right foot and fired across Smith’s goal.

Louis Fialdini found space for a shot for himself from distance to the right of centre, across Aspinall who was forced to parry away.

Newton Conde was the man to be withdrawn on 71 minutes, Jamal Stewart returning after several weeks’ absence.

Sam Meeson’s deep free-kick also tested Aspinall, the ball chipped straight to the ‘keepers far post, forcing him to palm it away before the ball dropped to a Longridge defender to clear.

There was almost a hat-trick for Poole from a set-piece from the edge of the box.

He curled the ball low around the left of the wall but was denied by the post.

Kane Clarke’s good hold-up play allowed him to turn to goal. His poke of the ball behind the defence was too strong for Stewart, however.

Longridge substitutes combined with just under ten minutes remaining, Conor Linighan passing left into Paul Turner.

Turner’s placed effort was over the bar, however.

Jaysiah Donaldson replaced Clarke in attack and he got his shooting chance eventually as the clock ticked into added-time.

His shot from distance had the power but lacked the accuracy, flying straight into Aspinall’s arms.

Arrowsmith countered immediately down the left but despite the cheers from the visitors’ fans, his shot hit only the near side-netting.

Poole instead assisted Longridge’s fifth, initially employing strong hold-up play to keep possession and turn to goal.

He then passed left to Makepeace who left his marker during cutting inside into the box, and he powered his shot past the helpless Smith.

There was still time for a sixth as Linighan couldn’t miss from beside the penalty spot.

A trip to Frickley follows for Yorkshire Amateur when they return to NCEL Premier action on Saturday 3rd September, 3pm kick-off.