Wilkinson’s 40-yard winner sees Ammers beat Frickley in added-time

Alfie Wilkinson’s 40-yard goal inside the four minutes added-time earned Yorkshire Amateur a 3-2 victory at Frickley Athletic.

Louis Fialdini earned himself two goals at the Westfield Lane Stadium, one either side of half-time, by matching his work-rate with composure.

Frickley too left it late to turn chances into goals, scoring twice in first-half added-time to lead 2-1 at the break.

Typical pressure from Fialdini won possession midway in Frickley’s half in the 7th minute.

The forward was denied space to shoot and instead passed to Frimpong who was too held up.

Frimpong continued the ball on its path, finding Juwara who’s trickery created space for a cross which was cleared.

Fialdini collected the loose ball after Jamal Stewart’s pressure on the Frickley ‘keeper forced the stopper to drop the ball on the edge of his own area.

Fialdini attempted the lob but cleared the bar also.

Alhassan Keita looked to be behind the right of the Ammers defence again but his loose touch inside the box gifted possession back to Kadeem Morton to clear.

Great hold-up play by the returning Stewart on 15 minutes allowed him to find Juwara with a pass.

The recipient initially beat Binns for pace but the defender recovered with a sliding tackle to deny the Ammers winger a path to goal.

Keita was the most dangerous on the field so far, so much so as to lead to Frickley hitting the post on twenty minutes.

The right-winger cut inside, round Pickles, and his shot was parried by Smith, onto the head of Lee Bennett who placed his header too far left and against the post.

It was a repeat for the opening goal but this time it was at the other end as Fialdini couldn’t miss an open net, heading in from inside the 6-yard box.

Juwara again beat his man on the right before crossing, this time too close to the ‘keeper’s near post but Charlie Preston only punched onto his own bar.

The ball rebounded perfectly into the following up Fialdini who headed into a vacant net from beside the penalty spot.

Miscommunication saw Wilkinson’s header, back from midfield, lob his own centre-half Gikineh and instead play in Szymon Czubik on the edge of the Ammers box.

Czubik looked certain to shoot but Gikineh recovered on the stretch to get his right foot to the ball and poke clear.

Keelan Grist provided a threat from Frickley’s opposite flank, controlling well from a direct ball before catching Sam Meeson flat-footed and rounding the Ammers defender.

The low, cut-back cross was cleared comfortably.

Keita offered options back on Frickley’s other wing when he ran onto Czubik’s through-pass down the right-hand of the Ammers’ box but the cross was caught by Aidan Smith.

Czubik is then instead on the end of Bennett’s headed knock-down, away from goal, but the recipient blasted over.

Wilkinson, attempting to clear, mistakenly put an inch-perfect through-ball into Keita who’s first-time effort was too high.

Frickley’s equaliser did follow as Lee Bennett scored first-time on the turn from close range.

Kofi Appiah’s defence-splitting pass found Bennett behind the Ammers defence, on the 6-yard line to swivel and shoot past Smith.

And there was time for another for Frickley before half-time as Szymon Czubik benefitted from a loose ball in the box to finish.

Lewis Binns had two chances at a cross, the second not being cleared and falling initially to Bennett but the forward’s header was blocked and the ball deflected back to Czubik for an easy finish.

Frickley appeared slow starters after the break with the Ammers’ Stewart benefitting from a poor back pass after just two minutes.

He wasn’t quite in on goal, however, a defender closing down the forward’s shot, inches wide of the left-hand post.

Goalscorer Fialdini was having as much success from deep as he was in front of goal and played in Juwara down the right after good hold-up play.

Juwara’s cross found Stewart’s feet in the box and he was able to turn, hold off a defender before shooting, however lacking any power.

Fialdini’s opposing number 10 then began faring just as well by the other goal, on the counter-attack.

Czubik’s third break in quick succession saw him enter the left-hand side of the box and shoot to the near post but Smith saved.

A minute later and the Ammers ‘keeper was required again, his knee denied Keita’s shot across goal from Frickley’s opposite flank.

But Fialdini went one better by scoring his second when through one-on-one, levelling the end-to-end match on 55 minutes.

It was the typical forward partnership play of strong hold-up work linking to put the fast forward in-behind the defence, between Stewart and Fialdini, before the ball was placed to the left of Preston in goal.

Lee Bennett then should have recovered Frickley’s lead after Gikineh failed to clear with his header, instead flicking on to the Frickley forward inside the box with just Smith to beat.

Smith wasn’t tested with Bennett’s shot skied.

The Ammers stopper rescued his side in the final five minutes of normal time, however.

A corner from the left saw the ball pass through the crowd in the box before being diverted to goal from close range at the back post, tipped over after quick reactions from Smith.

It wasn’t until inside the four minutes added-time that Alfie Wilkinson stole the points and the show with a 40-yard half-volley.

His strike lobbed Preston but because of the distance, the celebrations couldn’t start until the ripple of the net confirmed the accuracy of the bouncing ball’s trajectory, the roof of the net catching the ball.

Yorkshire Amateur continue in the league when they travel to Silsden’s Office Interior’s Stadium on Wednesday, kick-off 7:45pm.