Match report: Fialdini at heart of Celts u23s’ victory

Farsley Celtic u23s made sure there was no heartbreak for them on Valentines day with a 4-1 victory against i2i Orange at York St John Sports Park.

Louis Fialdini returned to the starting line-up with two goals in his new found position behind the central striker. Mwiya Malumo was looking for three goals in three himself alongside his side’s search for a third consecutive victory.

Jordan Chippendale added the other two goals whilst a defensive error led to i2i’s brief resurgence.

Ethan Cotton also returned in goal in place of the Celts’ number one Kyle Trenerry after the latter guarded the sticks v Gloucester City for the senior side on Saturday.

Farsley began in confusion as TJ Kongolo and one other defender hesitated and failed to clear before conceding a foul on the edge of their own box.

The free-kick, left-footed, curled away towards the right-hand post, is tipped away by a full-stretched Cotton.

But Farsley were ahead within five minutes, the returning Fialdini guiding a left-footed shot into the far bottom left-hand corner from outside the box. The front three combined, Malumo winning the flicked header, under pressure, the ball collected by Nahom Gasfagergish who passed to Fialdini to his right. The forward immediately angled his run inside to goal, pushing the ball onto his left with the ball nestling in the side-netting.

Farsley were consistently controlling possession and on 17 minutes switched flanks from Adam Maywand to Gasfagergish, right to left. The recipient cut back inside and feinted his initial shot before his second one is blocked.

Fernández’ replicated Matty Ingham’s success with direct passes and found Malumo behind the i2i defence. Malumo is held up so looks to cut inside into the box before instead backheeling into the run of Gasfagergish who’s shot is covered by the ‘keeper at his near post.

Malumo is the target once more on 25 minutes and holds the ball up well under pressure before passing to his right to Gasfagergish. His cross was just ahead of the goalbound run of Fialdini in the centre of the box.

Fialdini did score his second but not before Chippendale added Farsley’s second, the Celts scoring twice in three minutes. Chippendale finished from close-range after Maywand’s cross from the right on 34 minutes. Fialdini, also touching the goal-line, was able to simply flick the ball into goal after Gasfagergish’s cross from the left deflected high into the air.

Fialdini’s hat-trick was almost secured in first-half added-time after another Fernández quick direct ball was taken perfectly in the stride by the goalscorer’s right-foot, knocking the ball across his marker and into goal but the final effort is too weak.

A Farsley counter down the left on 48 minutes went through Gasfagergish and ended with Malumo in the centre, shooting from the edge of the box but wide.

Majed Alasttal attacked down the same side a minute later, this time carrying the ball to the touchline before crossing. Malumo was waiting again but the ‘keeper dived out of his goal to win the ball first.

Gasfagergish chose the right this time, inside the box, his step-overs creating space on the outside of his marker for a shot, deflected into the side-netting.

Farsley’s fourth, Chippendale’s second was a lot further out than his first, finding the bottom left-hand corner from outside the box. A poor i2i goal-kick dropped to Fialdini on the edge of hosts’ box and his simple square pass to his left is finished by his midfielder.

I2i reacted with a goal of their own in the 63rd minute. Chippendale’s header back to goal caught his ‘keeper out, the stopper pushing the ball into an i2i forward to force into goal.

Celts substitute Juwara had space to run into on 65 minutes, entering the right of the box and shooting across goal but the ‘keeper blocked.

I2i escaped the Farsley press on 70 minutes, countering down the left but the shot from inside the box is saved by Cotton at his near post.

It should have been five. Farsley were denied twice on 75 minutes. Firstly Juwara is denied by the near left-hand post from inside the box and when Fialdini picked up the rebound, looking certain to get his hat-trick, the ball is poked out for a corner at the final second.

Farsley create space on the edge of their opposition’s box again, on 85 minutes. Juwara, on the touchline, passed inside to Chippendale in the box who kept the ball on its course inside to Gasfagergish who eventually fired over.

i2i won the race to the ball down their left on 88 minutes and passed inside. Keeping the pace going, the next pass is behind the Farsley defence but the shot is saved by Cotton.

Farsley reacted immediately through Sidibe in-behind the hosts’ defence a minute later. With the ‘keeper rushing out to close the gap, Sidibe tried the chip, across goal but it went wide.

The Celts’ second side go for four wins in four matches when they host RIASA on the 28th February.