Match report: U23s opening day defeat to 10-man Emley

The U23s failed to capitalise against 10-man Emley as an 80th minute winner succumbed Farsley to a 2-1 defeat on the opening West Riding FA Development Premier Division matchday on Monday.

Debutant Majed Alasttal equalised minutes before half-time and Louis Fialdini should have then put Farsley ahead in added-time with Fares Djermoune also shooting just over before the break.

Emley captain Jack Wilde was red-carded on 63 minutes but Farsley’s man advantage was removed with Reggie Waud’s sin-bin minutes from full-time.

Emley opened the scoring when one of several counter-attacks was finished on 16 minutes.

The Emley forward ran away from the Farsley defence, on goal, collecting a direct ball over the top, placing past Westcarr from inside the box.

Louis Fialdini replied with his own run behind the Emley defence two minutes later, him being denied not just this once.

He then looked to create space with a stepover and did get away from one, shifting left, inside, but ran into a second defender.

Farsley were now certainly enjoying more possession while Emley, still looking to counter, were seeing their direct balls meeting green and white rather than their claret.

Reggie Waud’s hold-up play was evident in a lot of Farsley’s good attacking play from 25 minutes in.

Djermoune benefitted first. Waud, with his back to goal, controlling the ball before passing ahead of Djermoune on the right. On goal, the debutant hooked his left-footed shot wide of the near post.

The attacking midfielder then received a header back into the box, over the Emley defensive line, Djermoune volleying first-time and forcing the keeper to top wide of the right-hand post.

Waud’s flick-on in the build up led to him again flicking the ball behind him in the box moments later and finding Fialdini stretching from close range, under the ball putting it just over.

Alasttal’s equaliser eventually came with two minutes of normal time remaining in the first-half.

A header clearance out of the Emley box was volleyed first time by the wing-back, inside the near left post.

Louis Fialdini was one-on-one with the ‘keeper in first-half added-time but hooked his right-footed shot wide of the far left post.

Djermoune also could of taken the lead before half-time, shooting inches over from inside the box.

Emley began the second-half as promising as the first and creating the first chance.

Farsley goalscorer Alasttal headed clear from an Emley cross from the left with the ball dropping to an Emley forward who shot just over.

A straight red card for Emley captain Jack Wilde in the 63rd minute was then shown for a late challenge.

Reggie Waud looked to capitalise minutes later, running from the half-way line to the box and bypassing two defenders, Emley forced to bring him down after he’d poked the ball away ahead of receiving the challenge.

Farsley ‘keeper Rhys Westcarr was forced off through injury, replaced by Ethan Cotton.

And the substitute ‘keeper was beaten shortly after his introduction, restoring Emley’s lead on 80 minutes.

A one-two down the right of the box put the forward one-on-one with Cotton before placing the ball into the far corner.

Alasttal’s near-post powerful header almost levelled following a free-kick crossed into the box.

Reggie Waud was then sin-binned for the remainder of the game with less than ten minutes remaining.

And Emley hung on for victory with Ethan Cotton denying the victors twice more before full-time.

The first, a loose ball falling to Emley in the Farsley box, denied from close range with the clearance then shot back at goal and clipping the top of the bar.

A minute remaining of the 90 minutes, a run on the left saw the forward one-on-one with Cotton inside the box but the ‘keeper denied the low shot with his legs.

The U23s play again next Monday, 27th September, visiting i2i Orange.