2 out of 2 for U23s

i2i Soccer Academy Orange 0-2 U23s

York St John University Sports Campus

15th April 2021, 2pm kick-off

The U23s made it 2 wins in 2 matches with a 2-0 victory over i2i Soccer Academy Orange.

Sandile Masuku scored within 3 minutes of moving to left wing-back , beating a defender by cutting in-field and firing right-footed inside the far post.

Keanan Mannings’ second-half flick-header from Asa Mitchell’s deep free-kick doubled the lead without reply from i2i.

The home side caused the first issue inside 7 minutes as Maywand got beat by a long-ball over his head but the resulting cross was sliced straight over the bar.

With both sides fielding 3 central midfielders, there wasn’t a lot of space in the middle. Mannings was forced into a quick chipped pass on 11 minutes, to Fialdini in-behind but he was flagged offside.

Then, Maywand, trying to find his centre-back partner, passed straight to an opposition forward who hit it with his second touch but ‘Keeper Toft watched it wide.

On 20 minutes, great skill from Henderson cutting in from the left beat his defender, to then find Broe on the opposite wing. Broe’s cross was aimed at the back post and Fialdini but inches too high.

A few minutes later and a second clearance closed down by an i2i forward rebounded goalward and forced Toft into a save low down to his left.

With little space in the middle, Farsley kept i2i shooting from distance, the first coming inside 27 minutes after a cross from the left which was cleared but only to an i2i player just outside the box. He knocked the ball onto his left, turning with it and shot straight at Toft in goal.

The second long-range effort came a few minutes later and followed a break down the right. This time it was cut straight back to the edge of the box and shot first time but well over the bar.

The space out wide was clear again when Henderson’s cross-field pass found Broe on the right. The right wing-back decided to cut inside and shoot left-footed and nearly paid off, just wide of the near post.

Just a minute later, however, and i2i began to find their range, shooting from distance once more but only inches wide of Toft’s left post.

I2i did get in behind into Farsley’s box and would of shot from close range had it not been for Mestre’s last-ditch challenge, chasing back inside his own box, conceding a corner.

‘Sandie’ Masuku, swapping to left-wing back into the space, then opened the scoring on 41 minutes.

Quick feet got the forward converted-left winger inside and past his defender, into the box before he powered a right-footed shot inside the far post, too fast for the ‘keeper who got a slight touch to it.           

Jake Boyd replaced Adam Maywand at half-time, joining the defensive 3.

Minutes later and Waud replaced the injured Fialdini and made an immediate impact. Waud outmuscled his defender away from the ball well and eventually won a free-kick. The forward took the free-kick from the left, edge of the box, shooting over the wall and into the top corner only to be denied by a fully stretched ‘keeper.

Waud created a second chance on the hour mark after Mannings’ vision led to a clip over two defenders down the left wing to play Waud through. The forward’s cross found mitchell at back post but he headed over.

Waud’s second free-kick, minutes later from wide left was hit with more power this time but the accuracy suffered, ending up straight at the ‘keeper.

I2i then broke down the right and shot from the edge of box but it was easy for Toft to save low to his right.

Farsley were quickly threatening again and on 66 minutes Mannings doubled the lead.

Mitchell’s deep free-kick from the left found Mannings whos perfect flick-header found the far top corner with the ‘keeper unmoved.

Farsley kept coming as Seth broke fast down the left and shouldered his chasing defender off the ball. Leaving his man on the floor, the defender cut into the box with only the ‘keeper to beat but at a tight angle, the odds were always against him beating his opposition.

I2i briefly posed some threat shortly after. Firstly, a quick attack down the right ended inside the Farsley box with a shot straight at Toft.

Secondly, again with no pass forward, the i2i defender, around 30 yards out laid the ball infront of himself and shot. The ball was moving in the air and only narrowly over the bar.

The home side continued to work hard and pressured Toft’s clearance which hit an i2i forward but Boyd was covering and jockeyed the ball for a goal-kick.

Savory-stewart, with less than 10 minutes to go, having just replaced Mitchell, found Mannings out wide on the right. The 18-year old crossed to Waud who got his toe to the ball but just wide.

Waud, again, with 5 minutes left, had the final chance of the game as he lost his marker and controlled a long-ball forward. He tried to round the ‘keeper but the no.1 tracked well and parried the shot for a corner.

The U23s go for 3 wins in 3, next Wednesday against Hemsworth Minors Welfare FC in the West Riding FA Senior Cup.