Ammers fail to shine in defeat to Nostell Miners

Yorkshire Amateur’s two late consolations shone some positives on a 5-2 defeat to Nostell Miners Welfare in the NCEL Division One on Saturday.

Josh Boast and then Ousainey Juwara found the net with The Ammers already 5-0 down on a soggy surface at The Welfare Ground.

Tom Lavin’s double was assisted by Joe Wood, Liam Owen and Liam Ormsby impacting the scoreline.

Ammers’ new signing Sam Babayale made his full competitive debut whilst Saf Rahman replaced midweek goalscorer Benjamin Quartey due to absence and Jamie Bedford completed the three changes.

Nostell were handed possession immediately from an Ammers kick-off and patiently waited for Harvey Walker to become open in the middle. He understood Tom Lavin’s run down the left, despite receiving the ball facing his own goal. The winger in turn found Harvey Booth in the middle of the box with the forward stretching to even get a toe onto the ball.

Babayale was squared up by Joe Wood as Nostell entered Ammers’ box but a recovering sliding challenge pushed the ball into Jake Boyd to clear.

A Nostell eleventh-minute lead was called offside denying Lavin whilst Ammers were reduced to ten due to Callum Hannigan’s injury.

Booth’s deeper position began the move, finding Wood inverted and with Lavin moved outside, receiving a chipped through ball, beating Babayale but not the flag.

Nostell’s control of possession was assisted by Hanningan on 18 minutes, a short flick into Boyd intercepted, rescued by the flag again as Lavin was denied.

Bedford, however, wasn’t allowing anyone to steal it as he cut inside from the right, past three challenges and towards the centre-edge of the box as the game edged towards half-hour played.

Newton Conde was the beneficiary on the left but cut onto his right before seeing his shot from 20-yards blocked.

Nostell’s opener came then out-of-character with a direct ball behind the Ammers’ defence into Joe Wood on 35 minutes.

One-on-one and in plenty of space, Wood passed the ball past Warner’s left.

Cole Carter was denied a solo-effort equaliser by the post just minutes later, despite two Nostell defenders failing to stop the forward’s run to the byline on the right.

Inside the box, Carter now had space to turn to goal, shooting past Toft but against the far upright.

The lead was doubled by Liam Owen who had Harvey Booth’s assist to thank for a 6-yard tap in on 39 minutes.

The low cross from the right was played behind Ammers’ defenders and into Owen’s run in the centre of the box.

Tom Lavin was handed the third with a rebound, following in at the near left-hand post to finish.

The shot from the edge of the box was parried by Warner to his right with Lavin waiting to pick up a goal before the break.

A fourth, within a minute of the restart, was stopped by Warner’s fingertip save, pushing the 20-yard shot onto his left-hand post.

Juwara intercepted a misplaced, sidewards pass across the hosts’ backline to then attack the box but the near post was covered by Toft who pushed the ball wide.

Tesfagerigish’s introduction, replacing full-back Rahman, reinforced the attacking numbers.

Warner again kept it at only three, Booth unable to fully control the bouncing ball in the Ammers’ box, poking the ball left to Owen lined-up to shoot low, pushed out by a strong hand at the ‘keeper’s left.

It took 67 minutes for the fourth to eventually come, Tom Lavin’s second coming by way of diverting in from close-range following a cross from the right.

The delivery skipped Alfie Charlotte in the centre and appeared to rebound off an unsuspecting Lavin, the ball finding the net.

Two minutes later and it was five. Liam Ormsby beating a challenge inside the box and then his shot too strong for Warner’s palms, dropping into the far, left-hand side-netting.

The final ten minutes saw Ammers shine some positive light on their performance, both Boast and Juwara recovering the deficit slightly.

Boast’s initial strike on 82 minutes followed a switch of play from left to right onto Hairyes’ head to knock-down to the young midfielder to finish inside the near post with a first-time finish.

Juwara’s effort came down the opposite side, beating his marker and placing a right-footed effort across goal and into the bottom corner, closing the gap to three before the full-time whistle.

A return home offers the opportunity at a brighter story for The Ammers next Saturday as Norton United visit The Southerns Stadium in the league.