Ammers’ new management off-the-mark with maximum points

Yorkshire Amateur finished strongest in the five-goal fixture at Sheerien Park as The Ammers, under new management, beat Athersley Recreation 3-2 in the NCEL Division One.

Diallo Birama’s second-half stoppage time goal gave Ammers the lead for their first time in Saturday’s fixture. Wilfred Frimpong twice levelled the score, his second coming from the spot in Ashton Campbell, Liam Willingham & Sean Burton’s opening game as the management team.

Ammers were behind within three minutes due to Danilo Mossolo’s simple finish. Joshua Berry had it even easier, forcing the ball in through ‘keeper Adam Wilson’s clearance deflecting off the pressing Athersley attacker in the 77th minute.

Both sides failed to finish the match with eleven men, firstly Oscar Hines sent off for what was adjudged an overly tough challenge then Stephen Williams receiving two yellows for the hosts.

Four Ammers debutants started the match; Wilson, Kaydon Fishley, Bruce Fernando & Jonathan Daniel. Diallo Birama & Cole Carter completed six changes to the starting line-up. Fellow new signing Hines began on the bench.

Ammers were quickest out of the blocks, unsurprisingly Wilfred Frimpong leading the race to a direct cross-field pass towards the left-hand side. Cutting inside, Daniel took the baton, sprinting through Athersley’s defence to the edge of the box, shooting across goal but also the far post.

Just as quick were Athersley to put the first mark on the scoresheet, a simple finish just yards out from goal for Danilo Mossolo within three minutes.

Ben Stobart’s shot from wide right was parried into Jack Briscoe, palmed out a second time, into Mossolo’s feet to smash in from inside the box.

The switch from right to left was on again but Birama’s pass to Frimpong was intercepted by Ben Stobart. Frimpong was however handed a second chance to run at the defence but his cross was blocked then cleared.

The overlapping Fernando was successful in his pursuit of Frimpong’s through ball, the pass almost crossing the far touchline before the full-back lobbed a cross to the back post which the blind sighted Williams had to put behind, facing his own goal.

Diallo showed his frustration at seeing his strong cross from the opposite flank neglected by his teammates, the ball running all the way across goal as another threat from the Ammers’ width went wasteful.

He directed his aggression towards successfully dispossessing the Athersley full-back less than a minute later, going for goal but blocked by one of the crowd of bodies covering the space inside the box.

Frimpong in space, it was Birama who again found him from the opposite flank. The receiver able to attack the inside channel to position himself for a right-footed shot, pushed wide by Ellis Pickard to keep his side in the lead for the break atleast.

Continuing his threat from the first, Frimpong created an opening on the inside, albeit 30-yards out resulting in the ball flying high over the bar.

The equaliser, from a wide-man inverted, came through Frimpong, one-on-one before placing to the left of ‘keeper Pickard ten minutes after the restart.

Carter’s flick-on was read by Frimpong, continuing to chance it inside, running onto the dropping ball, away from the final chasing defender before placing across goal.

Andrew Wright, Athersley’s own wide-man, was the one to receive a cross from the right, headed toward the far post where Wilson was covering.

Mossolo’s close control in a crowded box gave him the opportunity to search for his and Athersley’s second, though the bodies between him and the goal forced him backward meaning the shot was off balance, wide of the far right-hand post.

Birama had swapped sides, positioned out from the far post due to the corner from the right but it benefitted him as he turned infield to head to goal, lacing an effort through the box and just wide.

A slip-up caused Ammers to trail in the 77th-minute, ‘keeper Wilson’s clearance blocked by Joshua Berry, deflecting in.

Wright, inches from goal, somehow conceded the chance to put Athersley out of sight with ten minutes to go, reaching the cross along the box but only enough to glance the ball over the crossbar.

From the spot were Ammers given a chance to rectify their earlier mistake, now with five minutes left. Frimpong travelling on the outside, his cross fell to substitute Harry Abson who hooked his shot, back to goal, first-time, blocked by what the referee deemed as a hand – penalty.

Frimpong was confident of getting his second of the game. With the ‘keeper going the wrong way, the ball had to be simply passed to the right of centre of goal.

Ammers, now level, were soon later behind in personnel for the final two minutes plus added-time as Hines was sent off for a tough challenge with two minutes left.

Despite the lesser numbers, Ammers nudged ahead deep into stoppage time, Birama making it both wingers on the scoresheet, finding the net from the right-edge of the box.

The sides were back level in numbers on the field as Stephen Williams’ second-yellow for a professional foul confirmed his early exit.

Ammers ‘s perfect start under the new management can continue on Tuesday at Wakefield AFC’s Belle Vue Stadium in the NCEL Division One.