Match report: Second-half goals end U18s’ FA Youth Cup

Three second-half York City goals knocked the U18s out of the FA Youth Cup on Wednesday night, the match finishing 3-0 to the visitors.

The Citadel was goalless at the break with both defences on top and neither side able to control possession for long enough periods in the 1st Qualifying round fixture.

Farsley started by winning the midfield battle, not allowing York the space to advance into the Farsley half.

Melake’s free-kick on 12 minutes found Kongolo at the far post but after he can only glance his header, the ball dropped to Jayden Roberts slightly further back who sliced his shot wide of the post.

York were being forced into counter-attacks but the three Farsley centre-halves constantly outnumbered the single York forward.

Intercepting in the middle of the opposition half on 15 minutes, York’s first-time ball forward found an attacker ahead of Shawnee Eddy to run in-behind but the shot was straight at Westcarr.

He was tested more so with what was assumedly a cross that was dipping straight under the bar but Westcarr judged the flight, tracking back to tip over.

A direct ball forward found the right-winger Lancaster adding to the attack, in-behind. His run was tracked by Farsley, the forward cutting the grass with a powerful effort wide of the far post.

Jayden Roberts was replaced by Flavio Tomas in the first-half with centre-forward TJ Kongolo moving to centre-half.

Shawnee Eddy replaced Roberts’ wing-back position and soon had a shooting opportunity inside the box now with the freedom to attack.

A flicked header in the box saw the ball drop to Eddy but the wing-back was closed down and his shot was saved by the ‘keeper’s chest, keeping the scores level at the break.

York shot inches wide just three minutes into the second-half, highlighting the theme of the second 45.

A counter down the left saw the York forward beat Westcarr to the ball in the box, poking across goal and only inches wide.

Jared Felix returned by shooting inches over himself.

Escaping the crowd in the middle of the field, he was free to run to the box before shooting hard towards the top left corner but just over.

York’s opening goal was another cross-goal ball, converted the second time.

A low cross across Westcarr’s goal found Josh Knowles who passed goalwards into the space left at the far post.

The second followed five minutes later through Kieron Clayton.

A lofted ball out of midfield over the Farsley defence inside the left of the box is headed inside the post.

The third completed the match from Johnny Shepherd on 70 minutes.

A cross from the right was met at the near post at close range to divert past Westcarr.

Gateshead visit the Citadel next Wednesday as the U19s continue their National League Alliance campaign.