Match report: U16s share six-goals in derby

Jason Gomes’s second goal in two matches equalised with ten minutes to go of a five-goal second-half to earn a point in the derby vs Guiseley, the match finishing 3-3

Max Broadie had Gavin Maleka to thank for the second week running as the forward’s third goal in two matches was orchestrated by his midfielder’s trademark run from midfield, rewarding the U16s with four points from six available so far.

Farsley had led 2-0, Donrique Davis following Broadie’s goal with Gomes levelling late.

Rafael Matzinhe was promoted to the starting line-up from last week’s bench as the only change to the starting line-up.

An offside flag stopped Guiseley taking an 8th minute lead as they pressed with the same intensity as Brighouse last week and looked to once again condemn Farsley to conceding the first goal.

A cross from the right found two Guiseley forwards in the box to finish but the referee called back play.

From then till half-time, Farsley appeared to figure out the Guiseley press.

Rob Adamson was in front of his marker, countering down the left and won a free-kick after the Guiseleye defender reverted to pulling the full-backs shirt.

The deep free-kick found Broadie who put the ball just wide, the ref blowing for offside anyway.

The opening goal followed through a similar fast break and ended with Broadie’s finish.

Gavin Maleka outmuscled his defender on a trademark run out of midfield and advanced into the box, cutting back to Broadie just inside the box who’s first-time shot forced its way under the ‘keeper.

Maleka and Farsley were in their rhythm with 25 minutes played, the midfielder escaping the press with more quick feet, bringing the ball with him to his right before passing wide to Jake Larkin.

The full-back has space to run into to the edge of the box before playing Ngongue in-behind on the right touchline. Cutting inside, the ball makes it way to Luca Ferullo, holding the ball up before setting up Broadie just behind who shoots again first-time but this time over.

Adamson began another counter down his left after half an hour, this time choosing to pass ahead of Matzinhe, putting the midfielder through on goal.

Matzinhe rounded the ‘keeper but having been forced wide, he cut the ball back with it eventually switching sides to Nongue who forced a save out of the ‘keeper who’d tracked back between his posts.

Guiseley began the second-half even quicker than the first and were denied by Luke Mallinder’s save diving to his right after two minutes post-break.

Farsley’s midfield trio, having been crucial to beating Guiseley’s press, were then caught by it on 48 minutes, an interception leading to Mallinder being rounded away from his goal but captain Richy Bamba had tracked behind his ‘keeper and blocked the shot on target, conceding a corner.

The corner passed through the crowd and the ball deflected back to his own goal off Ferullo straight into Mallinder’s hands.

Farsley’s second was a repeat of the counter’s in the first, beginning again with Adamson who’s pass met perfectly with the run of substitute Donrique Davis in-behind on the left.

Reaching the box, he cut inside, past one defender, before flicking the ball in the opposite direction back inside the near post.

Guiseley recovered one themselves just two minutes later beginning with a free-kick from the half-way line. The ball bounced in the box between heads before being nodded in at the back post.

Shane Silvester’s introduction was clear after his free-kick from range just after the hour forced the ‘keeper to tip over, tracking back to avoid being lobbed.

But Guiseley were level three minutes later after Elsdon appeared to have been fouled, the ‘keeper injured on the floor and the referee signalling play on, leaving an open net and the Guiseley forward  time to pick his spot.

The visitors then took the lead just a minute later with a shot from just inside the Farsley half that caught substitute ‘keeper Leo Elsdon off his line.

A fourth Guiseley goal was almost added two minutes later after a corner resulted in a scramble of legs in the box, eventually being shot at goal but the Farsley bar.

But Farsley equalised with ten minutes remaining to earn a point after their own high press poked the ball to substitute striker Jason Gomes.

In on goal, in line with the last Guiseley defender, the forward poked the ball under the ‘keeper, levelling the score for full-time.